Sustainability: One day at a time
Each and every day, King's Facilities Department works hard to ensure that the environmental impact of the intuition remains as minimal as possible. Here are a couple things you may not have known we've been doing.
- Manages garbage and recycling. 40% of garbage is recycled and eventually goes to the City of Edmonton bio-fuel plant where 90% diversion from landfill site.
- Oversees the implementation of eco-friendly grounds and pest control.
- Seeks utilities management and reduction initiatives along with equipment and technology retrofits using green power.
- Manages a variety of sustainability projects (both operating and capital.)
- Offers a New Student Sustainability Orientation.
- Promotes campus sustainability initiatives through community awareness, education and outreach.
- Oversees AASHE STARS program.
- Oversees King's Earth Hour, One Hour No Power Campus Challenge participation.
- Liaises with other departments, the President's Office and Cafeteria to enhance existing sustainability programs.
- Uses only eco-friendly cleaning products and cleaning methods.
- Facilitates an end-of-semester furniture recycle program.