New Student FAQ

Will in-person classes begin September 8th as scheduled?

We are excited to introduce a hybrid model of learning for the Fall term. 

King's will offer courses online with the opportunity for in-person classes and lab experiences at least once per week. Online alternatives are being developed for all in-person course components so that students will have full choice regarding what their education at King’s looks like this fall.

How do I contact Admissions?

If you know who your Admissions Counsellor is, you can contact them directly! Otherwise, give our mainline a call at 780-465-8334 or email us at We’re all working from home, but we’re available to help you from 8:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m. on Monday to Friday!

Is there someone who can help me with my course registration?

Absolutely! First, check out our Course Registration 101 page, and then contact your Admissions Counsellor to set up a phone or video appointment and we can go over your course registration together.

Are you still accepting applications?

Of course! Our applications for Fall and Winter 2020/21 are still open. You can submit an application online by clicking here.

I’m a transfer student. How will having Pass/Fail grades instead of letter grades impact my admission to King’s?

We are committed to working with all transfer students, regardless of what individual institutions have decided to do in regards to providing grades for students. If your institution has adopted a Pass/Fail model, your transfer GPA will be calculated on coursework you’ve completed in previous terms where you received letter grades. We will still be honoring transfer credit for any course that you receive a Pass for this term.

I plan to live on campus. How does this impact me?

Students can still live on campus in the Fall! The Tower Residence will be closed for the semester, but all Tower Suites and Apartments units will remain open at a flat rate of $500 dollars per month. A decision regarding re-opening the Tower Residence for the Winter 2021 Semester will be made in the Fall. If you still need to apply to live on campus, you can do that by clicking here.

Am I still allowed to visit campus?

Our campus is currently closed to all visitors, but you can always take a virtual campus tour online!

I’m an international student and will need to apply for a study permit. What does this mean for me?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is continuing to accept and process online applications for study permits. We recommend you review Study Permit Application Requirements and Processing Times to get an idea of when would be the best time to apply.

We are being flexible with application deferrals during this time. If the situation hasn’t stabilized by Fall, no problem! Simply defer your application to the January intake. We are currently accepting applications for both intakes. Find more information on deadlines and application steps here.

I’m an International Student and I’m concerned about paying the $10 000 deposit in the current situation. What happens to my money if I can’t come?

King's collects a $10,000 tuition deposit from new international applicants who are not already in Canada under an existing Study Permit.

A $10,000 tuition deposit demonstrates commitment to King’s and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that the applicant is serious about studying in Canada at King’s. This can help secure a Study permit. (For added security, applicants who have an additional $10,000 in GICs, may be eligible for expedited student permit approval. Find more information about the Study Direct Stream online here.)

Tuition Deposits are normally non-refundable.

However, international tuition deposits:

  1. May be carried over to a future semester with one or repeated delayed/deferred admissions as necessary.
  2. Will be refunded with proof of a study permit refusal.
  3. Will be refunded during the COVID-19 pandemic if new financial stress resulting from COVID-19 no longer allows for the applicant to come. If this applies, please contact the Manager of Financial Aid and Student Accounts for assistance.