Sexual Harassment, Violence, and Assault

Sexual violence is any violence, physical or psychological, carried out through a sexual means or by targeting sexuality. This includes, but is not limited to sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, indecent exposure, voyeurism, sexting, degrading sexual imagery, distribution of sexual images or video of a community member without their consent.

If you have experienced sexual violence

  • Understand that it is not your fault.
  • Be patient with yourself. Sexual Assault/Sexual Violence is a traumatic experience that can impact you on many levels: academic/work, psychological, physical, social and emotional.
  • Consider telling someone you trust – a friend, coach, counsellor, family member, co-worker, etc. You can also talk to any staff or faculty member whom you trust.
  • Consider seeking medical attention, even if you feel you have no obvious injuries.
  • Consider the reporting options below and contact a Student Life staff member to discuss these options if you need help talking them through and making a decision.
  • If you are a survivor of sexual violence that took place before you came to King's and you are struggling as a result you can still access support.

For more information, read the Sexual Violence Policy and Procedures

Options for proceeding

If you have experienced an incident of sexual violence, choosing what to do next is a personal and potentially difficult decision.  We want you to get the help and support you deserve and we respect your decisions in regard to your own care. 

Any member of the University community who believes they have been the victim of sexual or gender-based violence is welcome to seek support and to report the incident if they so choose. 

Receive medical attention

Receiving medical attention can often be important, even if it has been a while since the assault or you don’t have obvious injuries.

You can ask for the SART team at any Edmonton hospital. This team provides assessment and treatment of injuries, sexually transmitted infections, and pregnancy prevention. They also provide forensic evidence collection and emotional support. You can choose if you wish to have forensic evidence collected or not.

University staff members are available to assist you in getting to a hospital and providing any desired emotional support.

Talk to someone confidential for information & counseling

King’s encourages anyone who has experienced sexual violence or who is supporting someone else to find support. Support is available both on and off campus.  

On campus supports

Counselling Services
Pastoral Care
Accessibility Services
Residential Supports
Dean of Students

Off-campus supports

Sexual Assault Center of Edmonton
Saffron Centre
Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)
University of Alberta Sexual Assault Center
Edmonton Distress Line

Seek Modifications (academic, housing, work-related)

Modifications are for individuals whose lives have been negatively impacted by an experience (or experiences) of sexual violence and could benefit from assistance with their academic, work, or living situation.  Modifications are unique to each person's needs and can be accessed by contacting the people below.  Even in circumstances where you aren't sure what measures would be helpful, these resources might be able to identify options that could help reduce your stress.  We acknowledge that trauma causes and exacerbates your stressors.  Modifications are meant to mitigate some of the stressors in your day-to-day life, giving you a bit more breathing room. Implementation may depend upon approval from others.  For example, an academic measure would require support from the faculty member teaching the course and a work measure would require approval from a supervisor.  If you aren't sure this is the right option for you, you can always ask.

Students can access assistance in receiving modifications from the Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students. Employees can access assistance in receiving modifications from the Director of Human Resources.

Interim Measures

In addition to modification, Interim Measures are available when a formal complaint is filed with the institution. These are measures put in place by the institution to support parties while a case is open. One such measure may be a no contact order.  At King’s a no contact order is mutual, meaning that it is the responsibility of both parties to refrain from intentionally interacting with one another.  

File a University Formal Complaint

Sexual violence and sexual assault are violations of the University's Sexual Violence Policy and Procedure (LINKs) and survivors can file a complaint under this policy.  A formal complaint or report of sexual violence opens a University investigation.  University employees will give you information on the process of a formal complaint before you need to decide if it is the right option for you. Talk to the Dean of Students or a staff member you trust about a formal report.

If you want to receive support from the institution but do not wish to make a formal report, you may consider disclosing your situation to a staff or faculty member you trust. A report will not be opened without your consent. You can still access campus supports without making a formal report.

Who can I report to on campus?

Megan Viens, Dean of Students
Trina Wilson Orieux, Director of Human Resources

Or talk to any of the people listed below, who can help you report.

File a Criminal Report

Sexual assault is a crime and can be reported to police.  Police reporting can be done by phone, visiting a police station, or visiting a hospital.  The police will then investigate your report. For more information on reporting to police in Edmonton, click here.

Students can access campus support in filing a criminal report.

Obtain a Restraining or Protection Order

There are a number of different types of restraining and protection orders in the province of Alberta. Read more about the types here.

Students can access campus support in filing for a restraining order.

Options for non-King’s students

  • If you do not go to The King’s University, but your assailant does, you may still be able to file a report with the University. 
  • If you go to The King’s University, but your assailant does not, we can help you communicate with the police or their institution to learn what options are available.

Speak to Megan Viens, Dean of Students (Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students)

View the University Policy and Procedures

Sexual Violence Policy
Responding to Sexual Violence Procedure

Please contact Megan Viens, Dean of Students, Nate Wright, Residence Life Coordinator, or Trina Wilson Orieux, Director of Human Resources for help understanding the policy and procedures documents