Bissell Centre - Community Closet/Community Space Worker
Community Closet/Community Space Worker (Permanent, Full-Time)
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Community Closet/Community Space Worker. Stationed in the Bissell Centre Downtown buildings, the Community Closet/Community Space Worker will assist community members to access clothing through the Community Space Community Closet, perform intake and referrals with community members accessing the Community Closet, receive and distribute donations to the Community & Family Closets, and provide basic needs services to community members accessing the Community Space. This position maintains the clothing closets and sorting areas of the facility and oversees volunteers.
This position will occasionally be exposed to physical and/or verbal abuse.
This is a full-time permanent position. The hours of work are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (40 hours per week) with a salary range of $16.25 to $18.00 per hour.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Assist participants to access Bissell Centre basic need services available in the Community Space, such as coffee, laundry, showers, food, haircuts and the Community Closet.
- Facilitate the Community and Family Closets and donation sorting room by distributing donated items to community members and sorting items in collaboration with the Bissell Centre Thrift Shoppe.
- Encourage and support participants to achieve their goals through accessing internal and external resources and services.
- Assess, refer, and support participants through systems navigation and referrals (Starting Point).
Resiliency & Relationships
- Engage participants in intentional and purposeful conversations, this may include providing individual support or advocacy to participants.
- Develop opportunities and support an environment where participants can build support networks to be sustainably interdependent in their community.
- Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required.
- Maintain work areas for efficient and effective clothing distribution.
- Receive, distribute and transfer donated goods to the appropriate locations.
- Assist with unloading deliveries to the Community Space.
- Maintain the stock of donations for distribution to the Community Closet and Family Closet, as well as, communicate to the Thrift Shop and the Resource Development team about needed items.
- Oversee volunteers in the sorting area and community closets when needed.
General and Administrative
- Enter client data into the Efforts to Outcomes Database.
- Maintain accurate written file notes, computer records, program information, and critical incident reports within established time standards.
- Participate in probationary and annual performance reviews.
- Attend scheduled staff and supervision meetings.
- Perform other duties as required.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Sociology, Community Support Work or combination of other relevant education and experience
- Minimum 1 year relevant working experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skill.
- Good organization, coordination and customer service skills.
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core.
- First Aid/CPR
- Must be to lift items up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time.
- Criminal Record Check & Child Intervention Check will be required prior to hire.
Bissell Centre offers above average industry benefits including employer subsidized medical and dental benefits, life insurance, disability, outstanding vacation and more!
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by January 24th, 2020 to:
Interim Manager of Community Development
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.