CLAC - Summer Position
Summer Representative Intern
CLAC has a summer position available for a university-level student who has completed his or her third or fourth year of undergraduate studies and has an interest in labour relations. This is a temporary, full-time internship position located in our Langley Member Centre in BC.
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- supporting representatives in negotiations, conflict resolution, and labour-management meetings;
- visiting CLAC members at their workplaces, answering questions, and providing assistance;
- special projects, which could involve writing articles, organizing new workplaces, and social media administration; and
- research, which could include doing background work for negotiations or arbitrations.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- University student who has completed third or fourth year of studies
- Demonstrated relationship building skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of provincial (BC) and federal labour codes and human rights legislation would be considered an asset
TERM AND COMPENSATION
This is a contract position, beginning early May, 2020 and ending August 28, 2020 (start date, end date and vacation leave are flexible). The hours of work are Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with some weekend or evening work required. The rate of pay is $19.81 per hour. The candidate must have access to a reliable automobile. Mileage is paid and expenses are reimbursed.
The position will be located in CLAC’s Langley Member Centre.
LONG TERM OPPORTUNITY
Internships are part of CLAC’s long term recruiting strategy. Due to growth, CLAC regularly has openings for representatives in its offices across Canada. A successful intern opportunity may lead to an interview for future full-time employment with CLAC following completion of studies.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should provide a cover letter and resume to Rob Schmidt, National Representative, at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 18, 2020 and indicate in your application where you came across the position.
Formed in 1952, CLAC is a national union representing over 60,000 workers in almost every sector of the economy. Based on values of respect, dignity, and fairness, CLAC is committed to building better workplaces, better communities, and better lives. CLAC is a founding member of Canada Works and an affiliated member of the World Organization of Workers.
Application Deadline: March 18, 2020
Start Date: Early May 2020
End Date: August 28, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest; only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
CLAC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation at any stage of the hiring process, we will work with you to meet your needs.