Family Support Worker
Family Resource Support Worker
Permanent, Part-Time / 20.0 hours per week
We are looking for a dynamic FAMILY RESOURCE SUPPORT WORKER that is passionate about creating meaningful connections with children, families, and the community!
KARA Family Resource Centre is an Edmonton based non-profit organization that has been supporting children and families since 1984. We provide support, guidance and educational opportunities to families and young children that promote increased capacity for both children’s development, parenting skills / knowledge, and family wellness. For more information regarding our diverse programs and services, visit www.kara-frc.ca
The Family Resource Support Worker (FRSW) plans, develops and implements various programs and activities for children and their parents/caregivers who attend programs offered by KARA Family Resource Centre. The FRSW provides additional support, referrals, and services to meet families’ unique needs and provides follow-up to ensure needed services have been acquired.
HIGHLIGHTS of KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plan, organize, set-up, implement, assess, and supervise daily activities and programming that meets the needs of children and their parents/caregivers. Ensures that agency program standards, guidelines and policies, and provincial Family Resource Programs Best Practices Guidelines are met and maintained.
2. Set-up and maintain the play areas in a clean and orderly manner and assist as directed with general maintenance of the facility in both primary and satellite locations.
3. Nutritious snack and/or meal preparation for participants as required. Responsibilities also include supply shopping for program materials and snacks, as directed by the Program Coordinator.
4. Encourage and facilitate the participation of individuals in the program. Create a fun and enjoyable atmosphere to enhance the program’s appeal and effectiveness to participants.
5. Provide families with relevant, up-to-date information on early childhood development, parenting support services and community resources (such as upcoming parenting groups, community-based programs, early childhood development workshops, etc.)
6. Maintain an awareness of clients and report any concerns to the Program Coordinator or Program Manager.
7. Maintains program and client related records/statistical information and produces reports as required.
8. Recognize, document, and take appropriate action in case of suspected abuse, illness, or accident following the “Duty to Report” guidelines.
9. Provide ongoing evaluation and assessment of the programs and services with the goal of maintaining an effective, efficient quality service delivery model.
10. Attend and represent KARA Family Resource Centre at community events, meetings, and projects as required.
11. Liaise with other FRP services, community agencies and resource persons. Foster positive working relationships with team members, community partners and stakeholders.
12. Maintains broad and solid knowledge of community services, parenting services, resource persons and other resource material on parenting and family issues. Dispenses this information to other staff, service providers, families, and the community as appropriate.
13. Actively pursue professional development opportunities to maintain and enhance qualifications, knowledge and skills related to established professional goals.
JOB SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Solid knowledge of child development, parenting theory and skills.
• Knowledge of and experience implementing skills in the areas of attachment, strength-based approach, and trauma informed practice.
• Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
• Required to work in a dynamic environment which may call for adaptation to the emerging trends/demands. A high level of motivation and sensitivity is required to effectively deliver services to a variety of individuals.
• Be highly motivated to complete tasks/duties/daily maintenance in a timely manner.
• Commitment to a problem-solving approach.
• Represent KARA Family Resource Centre in a positive and professional manner when in contact with outside agencies, professionals, or community.
• Demonstrated competency for and understanding of community-based service delivery.
• Ability to work effectively with program staff, volunteers, and non-profit or publicly funded groups, agencies, and organizations.
• Ability to identify sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
• Must be sensitive to and respectful of cultural and lifestyle diversity.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Certificate in Early Childhood Education and/or human/social service field. A combination of education, training and experience in a related field will be considered.
• Training and/or experience in facilitating parent/child group sessions.
• Minimum three years recent related experience working with young children and families, Family Resource Programs and/or programs and services that support children and families.
• Experience working in a not for profit, human services agency would be an asset.
• Experience working with vulnerable populations, individuals with special needs, and multi-cultural groups including First Nations.
• Current Standard First Aid Level C CPR/AED certificate.
• Food Safe an asset.
WHAT WE OFFER
• A pleasant and positive work environment
• Competitive wages
• Opportunities for learning and development
• Employee benefits
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
Job Posting Closing Date: April 8, 2022 at 4pm
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Please include a cover letter clearly indicating the posting number ( FRSW009 ) and detailed resume outlining your qualifications and related experience for the position.
KARA Family Resource Centre
Attention: Darby Wilkinson, Executive Director
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check / Child Intervention Record Check preceding start date.
COVID 19: KARA Family Resource Centre has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. In accordance with this policy, all employees, volunteers, and clients must provide proof of full vaccination or provide a negative result to a rapid antigen screening test once every 72 hours during the work week. The cost of the rapid antigen screening test will be at the employee’s own expense and will be completed on the employee’s own time.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce.