Not your everyday IT position. Challenging and fast moving, yet friendly and supportive: a career you will look forward to every day. Work with intelligent people in an exciting environment where every month is different.
- Senior and Junior IT and IA (Infrastructure Analyst)
- Additional positions may be available for specialists. Tell us your strengths and we’ll go from there.
- Other Positions: We are also hiring for other positions (business analyst / project manager, senior technical support, software developer, and more). You may apply for multiple positions separately. If you know someone in any of these areas, please do them a quick and friendly favour by letting them know about this posting.
- Full time and permanent.
- Fast moving in terms of variety of work and expectations.
- Flexible hours (for example: choose to start your day between 6am and 10am, work late some days and shorter on others).
- Variety with approximately 65% internal projects and 35% client projects.
- Gain valuable career experience in the newest technologies and automation techniques. We value staying up to date.
- Gain experience in a wide variety of areas including server management, desktop management, service oriented design via APIs, various mobile platforms, and integration methodologies.
- Gain experience with both small and large projects, with involvement throughout the product life-cycle.
- Rapid assessment of client or internal needs, what the existing infrastructure is, performance implications, and development of best high-level plans. Assessments are done on a very wide variety of needs and challenges, rather than a single product repeatedly.
- Pre-sale phone meetings with clients to discuss and brainstorm enough to pass the high-level plan / architecture on to the business analysts to work out all of the details into a requirements document and for sales to present the plan.
- Substantial amount of new IT project design and advanced strategic thinking, especially on internal projects.
- Spot change opportunities to optimize our systems and processes as we grow quickly.
- Occasionally participate in some development-stage design sessions and occasionally assist with product development planning, with best-of-the-best developers and business analysts.
- Learning from some of the smartest technical peers in the country, on exciting projects that you can really sink your teeth into.
- Providing second opinions to your peers to confirm their plans.
- Safeguarding and auditing security for data and systems.
- Troubleshooting and occasional break-fixing.
- Does not involve endless client desktop support from computer novices.
- Does not involve a majority time allocation to break-fixing and emergencies.
- Does not involve a lot of off-hours requests or travel.
- Does not involve a lot of boring legacy application support.
- Example internal projects: Help create zero-downtime fail-over systems for our hosting and then help maintain it, centralize desktop setup and control for all employee workstations, participate in a security audit of our systems, software tool selection, and locate the best scalability testing systems for developer use.
- Example external projects: Determining the best methodology of integration to an accounting system, providing feasability research and opinions for innovative client ideas, determining whether a database should be hosted on the same or separate VM for a client, estimating system requirements for 1000 users of a custom built system, etc.
- Most of the learning is through hands-on trying and doing. Meetings and formal training is minimized.
- Environment allows for some privacy at your workstation as well as time to concentrate without distractions when you need it.
- We are a highly technical company that will notice and appreciate when IT is done skillfully and when IT security is done properly.
- Highly intelligent.
- Fast learner and enjoys learning.
- General awareness of a wide variety of IT systems and approaches.
- Passionate about making IT do awesome things and very good at achieving that.
- Gets deeply involved with challenges and will persevere at length to achieve victory.
- Takes pride in work.
- No specific requirements for formal education or industry experience. We evaluate each applicant based on merit rather than formalities.
Nice To Have:
- Pragmatic approach to balancing perfectionism with getting the job done.
- Ability to see opportunities for improvement everywhere.
About The Work Environment:
- Friendly, non-threatening, and non-political environment.
- Mid-sized company but retaining the speed and flexibility of a smaller company.
- We are a great environment for both outgoing people and those who are very shy and introverted (applicable to non-client facing positions).
- We strive to have every employee sitting near a window for natural light and to have plenty of plants throughout the office; we care about employee health.
- Free onsite massage therapy.
- Private nap rooms for isolated thinking time or for taking a nap if you didn’t sleep well last night.
- Atrium to enjoy the sun during lunch.
- Social events worth remembering (fencing competitions, curling, video game or board game parties, coding competitions, commando combat training, robotics club coming soon, etc).
- An example of our culture: Lunch together is in a very comfy sofa room, and even the quiet types are comfortable there.
- Unlimited access to pillage our kitchens for caffeine, sugar, healthy snacks, soups, and more :)
- Additional perks that are cost-shared like motorized sit-stand desks.
- Task focused: everyone in the company heavily uses centralized to-do lists to stay organized, prioritize, and coordinate.
- Fast paced
- Consistent work/life balance: mandatory overtime is very rare.
About The Company:
- Pleasant Solutions is a dynamic company headquartered in Edmonton, a large satellite office in Toronto/Vancouver, and small satellite offices across Canada and the USA (including in Calgary, Ottawa, Saskatoon, New York, Denver, Boston, etc)
- Silicon Valley kind of excitement and growth potential.
- Fast growth: One of the 200 fastest growing technology companies in North America with 955% growth over 5 years (based on growth rates in published rankings of the 2014 Profit 500 and 2013 Deloitte Technology Fast 500). Canadian Profit Guide ranked us #88 out of 500 for fast growth in Canada, announced in Sept 2015.
- Stable and well diversified.
- Full of smart and passionate people whom you can learn from.
- Very low employee turn-over rate, attesting to the value of working here.
- We do a mix of in-house product development, software development services, electronics manufacturing, and IT services. For consulting, we build both large and small custom software for clients who need an internal system or are commercializing an idea. Our in-house products include the high-security Pleasant Password Server, an innovative tool that lets non-technical people build their own web applications using spreadsheets, an event ticketing system, and other business software.
- An innovative technology company with an aim of achieving results in creative ways.
- We develop high quality software you will take pride in. Our company name says it all.
- Socially conscious (for example, we pay for employees to sponsor hundreds of WorldVision children).
- What do you have to lose by exploring the possibility? Applying does not take long and we keep your application confidential (never disclosed to existing employer).
- Apply online today at https://pleasantsolutions.com/careers
- Even if you don't have your resume updated or ready to go, apply anyways, we want to hear from you!
- Please do not apply via email, apply only by visiting the https://pleasantsolutions.com/careers site.