Research and Engagement Summer Student
Research and Engagement Summer Student (Vehicle for Hire)
Job Number: 43011
1 temporary full-time position for 4 months, intended specifically for students currently enrolled in a human geography, planning, business, political sciences, commerce or related post-secondary degree program, commencing in May 2022
Do you enjoy meeting new people and working in a constantly changing environment? If you have excellent research and interpersonal skills and enjoy working with business professionals and the general public, consider becoming a team member of the Business Licensing and Vehicle for Hire unit for the summer!
The Business Licensing and Vehicle for Hire unit provides direct support to Edmonton-based businesses and the Vehicle for Hire industry.
As a Research Assistant, you will:
● Assist the team in performing research for various projects of the Vehicle for Hire unit; including but not limited to accessible transportation services, bylaw amendments, and vehicle for hire safety initiatives
● Complete jurisdictional scans and comparative analysis related to rideshare and taxi services in other municipalities
● Support public engagement and qualitative research activities such as survey distribution and data collection, assisting with focus groups, and conducting participant interviews
● Compile and draft research reports
● Complete other administrative work as required
Note: This position will be a combination of working from home and on-site working conditions. All working conditions will follow the Government of Alberta Health recommendations
● Currently enrolled in a human geography, planning, business, political sciences, commerce, or related post-secondary degree program
● Access to reliable internet while working from home
● Demonstrated ability using Google Workspace applications
● Effective verbal and written communication skills
● Ability to maintain working relationships with work teams and external stakeholders
● Demonstrated ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative research - with proven attention to detail
● Knowledge of research and statistical methods and techniques
● Ability to express ideas and concepts effectively
● Ability to manage multiple tasks with multiple elements and restricted timelines
● Knowledge of municipal legislation, including Vehicle for Hire licensing processes, and customer service standards is considered as an
*Please note, as part of your application, we ask that you attach an unofficial transcript, or an enrollment verification letter (indicating
the program you are currently attending)
The City of Edmonton's Cultural Commitments highlight where we are going as a corporation and define how we do our best work.
Find out more here: http://bit.ly/3bH2Ztv
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion:
Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3ye6wb5
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID 19-Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt).
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary: $19.749 - $25.135 (Hourly)
Talent Diversity Consultant: JY/LU
Classification Title: Student Professional
Posting Date: Mar 28, 2022
Closing Date: Apr 10, 2022 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Student Position Full-time
Union : CSU 52
Department: Development Services
Work Location(s): 5th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue Edmonton T5J 0J4
Visit www.edmonton.ca/careers for information on how to apply