Summer Program Assistant
EARLY CHILDHOOD SERVICES
SUMMER PROGRAM ASSISTANT (2)
Temporary (8 weeks), Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
KARA Family Resource Centre is a Registered Not-For-Profit organization dedicated to offering children and families a safe and supportive environment in which they can build connections, learn new skills and strategies, foster healthy development, and access supports and resources to enhance their mental well-being and resiliency.
The Summer Program Assistant (SPA) position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs and reports to the Program Coordinator. The SPA will work collaboratively with the Programming Team to develop, organize, implement, and evaluate KARA’s summer programs, with the primary focus being early childhood programming.
KARA serves a diverse population of families, each with unique strengths, needs and experiences. The SPA will work with the Early Childhood Services team to create and facilitate programming that is reflective of clients’ needs while modelling positive parenting techniques and promoting the healthy development of young children.
In Collaboration with the Programming Team the SPA Will:
• Plan and deliver age-appropriate programs and events that promote early learning and development and promote an inclusive, inquiry-based approach
• Build connections with children and families participating in programs as well as with the community at large
• Apply a strength-based approach in working with children and families
• Provide support and resources to participants, complete proper documentation and records
• Represent the organization in a professional and nonjudgmental manner
• Understand, carry out, and enforce all health and safety protocols
• Be comfortable delivering programs at various locations including, but not limited to, outdoor parks and play spaces and partnering agencies
• Be a positive and contributing member of the Programming Team, promote the programs and services offered by KARA and partnering agencies
Other Duties May Include:
• Participate in Agency meetings as required or requested
• Gathering and organizing program materials and supplies
• All other duties as requested by the Program Coordinator, Program Manager, or Executive Director
• This position is funded by the 2021 Canada Summer Jobs program and as such is open to all youth between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of employment
• You must be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and are legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
• Education or experience in Early Childhood Learning, Child & Youth, Social Work or other Human Social Services field desired
• Experience working with families would be an asset
• Previous program planning and implementation for children or families an asset
• Experience delivering Early Childhood programming would be an asset
• Experience working with vulnerable children and families would be an asset
• Excellent organization and communication skills required
• Proficient with most Office 365 applications (i.e. Outlook, Word, Publisher)
• First Aid Certification - Standard Child Care First Aid & CPR/AED Level B would be an asset
• Current Drivers License and own vehicle would be highly desired
• Criminal Record Check through Edmonton Police Service
• Intervention Record Check through Alberta Children’s Services
Schedule to be arranged with supervisor and may fluctuate according to program needs.
*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
KARA thanks all applicants for their interest however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Start Date: End of June 2022
End Date: End of August 2022