WJS Canada :Disability Service Practitioner - Westlock, Alberta - Job ID J0120-0846
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Disability Service Practitioner - Westlock, Alberta
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: 4 days on/4 days off
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $24.9400 - $27.3600 /Hour
Closing Date: 09/02/2020
WJS Canada is hiring a highly qualified Disability Support Practitioner for a residential home in Westlock, Alberta to support/supervise individuals with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities including: developmental delays, epilepsy, Disruptive Behavior Disorder and PTSD. Challenging behaviours will occur on a daily basis and therefore, only those with previous experience with de-escalation techniques and providing supports to persons with high behaviours and complex needs will be contacted for an interview.
While many of the core activities are similar to those of a Disability Service Worker, the Disability Service Practitioner is a more experienced, direct support role, providing direct support to individuals with disabilities as well as participating in assessment, person-centered planning and plan implementation. Working under the supervision of the Program Team Lead, the Disability Service Practitioner (DSP) applies their specialized education/ training and extensive experience to support the Disability Service Workers and persons with complex needs served by the programs. They are typically involved in more complex, complicated and/or specialized individual situations or environments
***Salary is based on education & experience***
In Your Role You Will
• Participate in planning, development, monitoring and arranging medical appointments.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Participate and support planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Acts as a liaison, on behalf of the person in service, with the community, family members, guardians and employers.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes
• Assist/support individuals with developmental disabilities (and high health care needs) in a residential & community setting.
• Meet individuals complex needs ( i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills)
• Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Assist individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, social and recreational activities such as swimming.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Due to the nature of these programs and the client(s) served, preference will be given to mature, physically fit and highly skilled applicants with significant experience in the Disability Services field.
• MANDATORY – Previous Supervisory experience
• Diploma or Degree in Disabilities Studies, in related Social Sciences, Human Services or Special Needs programs.
• Experience with dual diagnosis, FASD, Schizophrenia, mental health & suicidal crisis
• Must have valid class 5 driver license with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Knowledge of developmental disabilities & experience writing and implementing program plans and goals an asset
• Work well in an environment with potential for violence in the workplace; physical intervention skills
• Work with multiple persons served, as well as, with staffing teams – with and without direct supervision
• A positive role model; calm, confident, patient, self motivated and motivates others
• Able to meet the requirements of service Agreement of individual(s) in service, follow instructions and function in a crisis
• Strong communication, administrative & computer skills
• First Aid/CPR Certification, Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada’s mission is ‘We serve individuals and families with high quality, personalized, and culturally responsive support’. The social supports we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for full time employees)
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Developmental Disabilities - 1 year(s)
- Foundations in Community Disabilities - 1 year(s)
- Abuse protocol
- Behaviour Strategies
- Crisis Intervention
- Proactive Procedures
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Special Needs
To apply click on the link below: