WJS Canada - Complex Needs Disability Support Worker
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Complex Needs Disability Support Worker (4 positions) - Bonnyville, Alberta - Job ID J0220-0956
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Complex Needs Disability Support Worker (4 positions) - Bonnyville, Alberta
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: Varies
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Must be available for days, afternoons, evenings and nights (awake or sleep)
Number of Positions: 4
Compensation: $20.0000 - $23.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: 16/03/2020
The Disability Support program at WJS Canada works to improve the lives of persons with developmental disabilities and mental health concerns, by focussing on building life skills, social and communication skills; encouraging independence, self expression and creativity. We offer support in all areas, from health and behaviour issues to social, cultural and spiritual.
Disability Support Workers (DSW), in this program will call upon their previous experience to provide individuals with developmental disabilities and complex mental health needs with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision within the residence and the community. Disability Support Workers develop relationships and act as a liaison with the community, family members, guardians and employers. This position reports to the Program Manager.
**Sleep hours are paid at $15/hr
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
• Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Participate and support planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Further develop skills and knowledge within human practice fields.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MUST HAVE 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma.
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Social Work, Special Education or related field
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Must work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for full time employees)
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Abuse protocol
- Community Support Worker
- Complex Needs
- Crisis Intervention
- Developmental Disabilities
- Disability Support
- First Aid
- Mental Health
- Personal Support Worker
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
To apply click on the link below: