WJS Canada Community Disability Support Workers (permanent, part time)
Job ID J0420-0409
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Community Disability Support Workers (permanent, part time)
Job Type: Permanent, Part-Time
Location: Vegreville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40-44
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Position #1 & 4, 32 hr over 2 Weekends, Position #2, 28 hrs over 2 wks, Position #3, 56 hr over 2 wks (8am-4pm)
Number of Positions: 4
Compensation: $21.2000 - $23.6300 /Hour
Helping people with diverse abilities thrive in their communities.
The Disability Support program at WJS Canada works to improve the lives of persons with developmental disabilities and mental health concerns, by focussing on building life skills, social and communication skills; encouraging independence, self expression and creativity. We offer support in all areas, from health and behaviour issues to social, cultural and spiritual.The Position
Disability Support Workers (DSW) provide high quality, personalized care, helping those we serve to overcome their challenges and develop their strengths. We ensure a full life by nurturing, creativity friendships and encouraging community inclusion.
Working in a variety of settings - residential homes, day programs and accompanying the persons served throughout the community, Disability Support Workers will call upon their previous experience to provide individuals with developmental disabilities and complex mental health needs with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision.In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health concerns to build independence and community inclusion through life skills and social/occupational skills
• Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Teaching or assisting the individual to complete daily household tasks which may include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and active participation in the community.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• 1 year similar experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs. Other experience such as Nursing or Health Care Aide may be considered.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk) including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.comNo telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities - 2 year(s)
- Disability Support - 2 year(s)
- Group Home - 2 year(s)
- Individualized program planning - 2 year(s)
- Personal Support Work - 2 year(s)
- Social Service Worker Diploma - 2 year(s)
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
To apply please go to the link below: