WJS Canada Job Posting: Community Disability Support Worker (Full time)
Job ID J0421-0032
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Community Disability Support Worker (Full time) - Bonnyville
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Days, overnights and weekends
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $17.0900 - $20.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: June 1, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.
338-31 Bonnyville Cedar House
WJS Canada operates several community living programs in the town of Bonnyville to support people with developmental disabilities in becoming active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, and dual diagnosis. Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on the individuals and their progress. We encourage daily independence and self-sufficiency together with community inclusion.
The Disability Services Worker (DSW), under supervision of his/her supervisor, provides individuals in residential service with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision both in the residence and the community. Disability Service Workers develop relationships and act as a liaison with the community, family members, guardians and employers. This position reports to the team leader.In Your Role You Will
• Assists and supports individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensures individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observes/documents physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
• Assists with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Participates and supports planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Further develops skills and knowledge within human practice fields.
• Communicates/documents information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities .
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Crisis Intervention
- Disability Support
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
- Individualized program planning
- Personal Support Worker
- Social Service
- Social Service Worker Diploma
To apply follow the link below: