WJS Canada Job Posting: Disability Support Worker - Westlock - Job ID J0421-0243
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Disability Support Worker - Westlock
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+ hrs/wk
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Rotation is 4 shifts on and 4 shifts off, including weekend. Shift time vary between 9am-9pm
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $17.0900 - $20.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: June 8 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.
Supporting multiple NON-COMPLEX needs programs: 344-34, 336-399 and 336-33
with 3-4 independent clients living separately on their own in Westlock, Alberta.
WJS Canada is committed to provide the people we serve with programs that maximize progress and independence, support unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration into the community.
As a Disability Support Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to set goals, identify challenges and celebrate successes. Supports will focus on role modeling and supporting independent living skills through healthy living, mental wellness, teaching/modelling budgeting and cooking skills and building social connections.
In Your Role You Will
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., provide or prompt/model personal care and hygiene, life skills and social skills.
• Daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include assisting person served with food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Assist and support individual with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
Our goals are to help individuals become independent, improve their lives and develop life skills. We meet these goals by focusing on each individual's strengths. Our programs include:
- Self-help skills training
- Community Living
- Home Living Options
- Behavioural consultation
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees!
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities - 3 year(s)
- Developmental Disabilities - 3 year(s)
- Disability Support - 3 year(s)
- Group Home - 3 year(s)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelors- Other
- Community Living
- Community Support Worker
- Complex Needs
- Education Assistant
- Health Care Aide
- Individualized program planning
- Life Skills
- Personal Support Work
- Personal Support Worker
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Special Needs
- Supported Independent Living
To apply click on the link below: