Complex Needs Disability Support Worker - Fort McMurray - Job ID J0520-0587
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Complex Needs Disability Support Worker - Fort McMurray
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Ft McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+ hrs/wk
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: night shift only, 12 hour nights: 3 on - 2 off, 2 on - 3 off rotation
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $24.8500 - $27.2700 /Hour
Closing Date: 29/05/2020
A complex needs supported living home with 2 men with non-verbal developmental disabilities and mental illness.The Position
The Disability Support Worker job in Fort McMurray, AB are front-line community disability services roles that support and facilitate the development of skills and competencies that will assist persons with developmental disabilities to pursue and fulfill their goals, objectives and aspirations.In Your Role You Will
• Show how to accomplish tasks to acceptable levels, and provides client with the information, tools and resources to best function and enable them to complete tasks and/or make decisions.
• Provide instruction, guidance and support in a helpful and supportive manner.
• Implement person-centered plans designed to support and assist persons in a residential group or private home setting
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills or assist with direct care of high needs and/or medically fragile individuals, as required.
• Identify client needs and expectations and respond in a respectful, helpful and responsive manner.
• Be aware of the individual’s physical, social and recreational environments, taking action to minimize risks and maximize participation/inclusion.
• Assist and support individuals to participate in a meaningful way in their personal life planning definition of personal goals.
• Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
• Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
• Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
• Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• One (1) year experience working with complex needs individuals
• Experience supporting persons with a non verbal developmental disability is an asset.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada helps people with diverse abilities become active in their communities and reach the highest possible levels of independence. Our wide range of programs and services include supported homes, independent and semi-independent living, behaviour counselling, and mental and physical therapy. We offer community living, life skill coaching, career development, rest and relief for care-givers and family support for children with diverse abilities.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for full time employees)For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.comNo telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Developmental Disabilities
- Disability Support
- Mental Health
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work
- Supported Independent Living
To apply go to the link below: