WJS Canada Job Posting: Community Disability Support Worker (full time days) - Westlock - Job ID J0721-0322
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Community Disability Support Worker (full time days) - Westlock
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Shift time will vary between 8am-8pm, as scheduled 4 day rotation 4 on 4 off including evenings & weekends.
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $17.0900 - $20.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: August 31, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.
Working in two programs: 336-36 Ray of Sunshine & 336-31 Friendship House
WJS Canada's Community Disability Services team in Westlock works to encourage persons with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges to build on their strengths, further develop life skills, overcome barriers and become involved in their community.
The Community Disability Support Worker working 4 shifts on, 4 off rotation (8am - 8pm or as scheduled), will use the “tell-show-do” method and positive reinforcement to support the client to acquire/reacquire competencies in: self-help; life skills; job coaching; cognitive retraining; memory aids, etc.
In Your Role You Will
• Implement person-centered plans
• Help the individuals dream about possibilities, plan and achieve.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, sometimes hands on care is required.
• Maximize participation/inclusion within home & community
• Minimize risks in the client`s physical, social & recreational environments .
• Model socially appropriate behaviours for the client & community.
• Work with minimal supervision & cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Medication administration or first aid, as needed.
• Collect/file information, prepare correspondence, ISPs, and progress reports according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges & staff communication.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Two (2) years experience working with persons with a developmental disability or mental health diagnoses.
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance - as you will be required to drive to/from Edmonton to take persons served to medical appointments and other services.
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills - as all files are electronic
• CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, employer paid extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities
- Aggressive behaviour
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Brain Injury
- Child and Youth Care Diploma
- Community Living
- Community Rehabilitation
- Crisis Intervention
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
- Group Home
- Individualized program planning
- Life Skills
- Restrictive procedures
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Supported Independent Living
- Trauma Informed Practice
To apply follow the link below: