WJS Canada Job Posting: Community Disability Support Worker ($17-20/hr) - Westlock, Alberta - Job ID J0421-0589
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Community Disability Support Worker ($17-20/hr) - Westlock, Alberta
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Evenings Noon to 10pm- four shift on four off rotation
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $17.0900 - $20.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: June 15, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.
336-40 Westlock Hen House
Hen House is a lifetime home for two individuals with a variety of support needs and abilities. We provide community access supports so they can participate in community activities plus we host recreational and leisure activities in the home including cards & board games, movies, pot luck dinners, BBQ and parties. These recreational and life skills opportunities are a key part in helping our residents make their own decisions and to increase their sense of identity and self esteem.
The Disability Support Worker (DSW), under supervision of the Team Leader, facilitates and monitors education and development programs for purposes of providing individuals in residential service with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision both in the residence and the community. Disability Service Workers develop relationships and act as a liaison with the community, family members, guardians and employers.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
• Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Participate and support planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Further develop skills and knowledge within human practice fields.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees after 6 months of employment
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Behaviour Management
- Behaviour Strategies
- Behavioural Intervention
- Developmental Disabilities
- Personal Support Work
- Personal Support Worker
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Special Needs
To apply follow the link below: