WJS Canada Job Posting: Disability Support Workers (Perm, full time 12hr shifts) - Job ID J1220-0554
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Disability Support Workers (Perm, full time 12hr shifts)
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Vegreville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: 12 hour day shifts on a 2-week rotation.
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $20.0900 - $23.0900 /Hou
304-32 Vegreville Dakota House
Helping people with diverse abilities thrive in their communities.
The Disability Support program at WJS Canada works to improve the lives of persons with developmental disabilities and mental health concerns, by focusing on building life skills, social and communication skills; encouraging independence, self expression and creativity.
12 hour day shift (7am to 7pm)
2 week rotation: Week #1: Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun Week#2: Wed, Thurs
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work.*
Disability Support Workers (DSW) provide high quality, personalized care, helping those we serve to overcome their challenges and develop their strengths. We ensure a full life by nurturing, creativity friendships and encouraging community inclusion.
Working in a variety of settings - residential homes, day programs and accompanying the persons served throughout the community, Disability Support Workers will call upon their previous experience to provide individuals with developmental disabilities and complex mental health needs with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision.
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health concerns to build independence and community inclusion through life skills and social/occupational skills
• Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Teaching or assisting the individual to complete daily household tasks which may include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and active participation in the community.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• 1 year similar experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs. Other experience such as Nursing or Health Care Aide may be considered.
• Past experience supporting clients with Autism or sign language an asset.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
Our goals are to help individuals become independent, improve their lives and develop life skills. We meet these goals by focusing on each individual's strengths. Our programs include:
- Friendship and mentoring supports
- Self-help skills training
- Community Living and Supportive Independent Living
- Day programs
- Home Living Options
- Behavioural consultation
- Employment services
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• WJS Canada and industry-based training programs
• Flexible hours
• Opportunities to learn & grow with our organization and move into permanent employment with WJS Canada.
• Temporary, full time employees are eligible after 6 months until the position ends.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities - 2 year(s)
- Disability Support - 2 year(s)
- Group Home - 2 year(s)
- Individualized program planning - 2 year(s)
- Personal Support Work - 2 year(s)
- Social Service Worker Diploma - 2 year(s)
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
To apply click on the link below: