Bissell Centre - Child Care Educator (Casual)
Child Care Educator (Casual)
Through our vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our mission is to work with others to empower people to move from poverty to prosperity. We enable people to meet their own basic daily needs, participate in community, have sustainable livelihoods, feel hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life.
Are you a person who is passionate about engaging with children? Are you an active, motivated person who thrives in a team setting? Currently Bissell Centre is seeking the right individual to fill the Casual position of a Child Care Educator. This position does not have fixed working hours per week. Our program operates between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:30 pm. Staff should be flexible to work these hours on and off as needed basis with prior notification. There is possibility of permanent full time when vacancies arise.
Early Childhood Development Educators work with children ages 0-6 and are responsible for creating and developing an environment that meets the individual, social, physical, intellectual and emotional needs of the children. We are an engaged team who believe in actively co-learning, co-researching and co-imagining possibilities alongside and in relationship with children, families, other educators, and professionals.
Specific responsibilities of the position include
- Application of the Flight: Early Childhood Curriculum of Alberta
- Implementation of Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQs)
- Ensure all play and learning activities are conducted in a safe and healthy atmosphere
- Develop activities that consider each child’s individual interests and developmental levels
- Develop activities that enhance self-esteem and encourage children’s independence, social interaction and creativity
- Establish rapport and trust with children and parents/caregivers
- Adapt or modify activities to enable children with special needs to participate
- Documentation of observations and program planning
- Perform other duties as required
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications
- Child Development Certification
- Level 2 or 3 is considered an asset
- Child Welfare Information Check
- Clear Criminal Record Check
- First-Aid Certification in Child Care
- Familiarity with GRIT & ASaP is considered an asset
- Minimum 6 months’ related working experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong listening and verbal communication skills with children, parents/caregivers and ECD staff
- Good written and oral communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Good working knowledge of possible signs of abuse/neglect
- Good working knowledge of Daycare Licensing Standards and Accreditation
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core
- Must be able to lift and carry approximately 40 lbs
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter through our website or to the contact below no later than November 22, 2019 to:
Team Lead of Programming
Bissell Early Child Care Development Program
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.