Bissell Centre - Community Meals Chef (Casual)
Community Meals Chef (Casual)
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals. For more information, please visit www.bissellcentre.org.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Casual Community Meals Chef. The Community Meals Chef is responsible for providing support to the Community Meals Coordinator and maintaining kitchen safety standards. The position requires the individual to assist with menu planning, basic meal preparation, and liaising with volunteers in the kitchen.
This position directly reports to the Operations Manager.
Specific responsibilities of the position include
- Responsible for execution of the meal and have all components of the meal ready for consumption by understanding the timing of food production
- Ensure high quality and consistency of food preparation and presentation
- Responsible for food service to community members and dishwashing
- Responsible for menu planning, procuring groceries and supplies and daily preparation of nutritious meals and snacks served to the children in the Bissell Centre Child Care
- Prepare soups, sauces, vegetables, rice, potatoes, sandwiches, salads from different cuisines. Cut, trim, bone and carve meats and poultry for cooking. Bake bread, pudding, cakes and desserts
- Ensure food is prepared as per Canada Food Guide and evaluate food quality and preparedness by tasting
- Ensure food is stored at the appropriate temperature for the appropriate length of time and follows all food safety standards
- Set up/Break down work station and opening/closing the kitchen
- Responsible for directing volunteers, delegating tasks, and giving appropriate directions in regards to safe preparation of food items. Consult with management about volunteer related issues and scheduling of the volunteers.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the Culinary field required
- Journeyman’s papers or international equivalent required
- Diploma Certification in a Culinary discipline is required
- WHMIS and Advanced Food Safe required
- Knowledge of international cuisine is a considerable asset
- Knowledge of food products, identifying acceptable level of food quality required
- Knowledge of Canada Food Guide menu planning
- Knowledge of all methods of food preparation, cooking times, and portion sizes
- Must be trained to safely operate all standard kitchen equipment (choppers, slicers, ovens, steamers, flat top, meat slicer, blender, food processor and variety of knives, etc.)
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment and cohesively as part of a team
- Uphold Health and Safety standards and be actively involved in maintaining a safe work environment
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs and/or ramps
- Requires frequent lifting/transporting hot food items, ability to work inside kitchen area, interact with heated equipment, steam and other at-risk conditions
- Involves repetitive motion and working with chemicals
- Occasional interactions with community members
Additional Screening Requirements
- Alberta Class 5 License (non-GDL) and a satisfactory driver’s abstract
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by November 15, 2019 to:
Director of Administration
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.