Bissell Centre - Community Support Worker
Community Support Worker – Winter Warming (Full-time, Contract)
4 Full-Time Contract Positions Available
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individuals to fill the Full-time, Contract position of Community Support Worker – Winter Warming. Bissell’s Community Space is a safe space for adults to access essential supports and services, build relationships, create community and participate in a wide range of recreation, arts, culture, life skills, and education programs. The Community Support Worker practices from a person-centered and harm reduction approach, employing anti-oppressive practices and community development theory to empower individuals to move from poverty to cultural, social and economic prosperity. This position focuses on ensuring a welcoming and inclusive environment for all participants accessing the Community Space.
The service delivery model of the Community Space is based on the principles of empowerment and the commitment to offer a space that emphasizes programming that support participants’ and their strengths.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Assist participants to access Bissell Centre basic need services available in the Community Space, such as coffee, laundry, showers, and the emergency clothing.
- Encourage and support participants to achieve their goals through accessing internal and external resources and services when available.
- Assess, refer, and support participants through systems navigation.
Resiliency & Relationships:
- Employ Restorative Practices to create an inclusive and welcoming environment.
- Support participants to meet their own immediate needs and resolve challenges in a sustainable manner.
- Engage participants in intentional and purposeful conversations, this may include providing individual support or advocacy to participants.
- Develop opportunities and support an environment where participants can build support networks to be sustainably interdependent in their community.
- Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required.
- Help build a culture that supports and develops participants’ and the community’s strengths.
- Assist with special program activities and events, as required.
- Orientation, ongoing training, supervision and support of volunteers.
- Ensure participants’ voices are heard in decisions that affect them.
- Ensuring daily maintenance of Community Space Specific logbooks, records and stats sheets.
- Enter client data into the Efforts to Outcomes Database.
- Attend meetings and trainings, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education or experience in recreation, human/social services, social work or related field would be an asset.
- First Aid / CPR.
- Criminal Record and Child Welfare checks are required.
*This position is contingent upon funding approval*
This contract would end on April 30, 2020. This is a full-time position, working approx. 35 hours per week with a salary of $16.25 per hour.
Hours for this position would be approximately from 12:00 pm until 7:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Applicants must be available for training between the hours of 8:00 am until 4:30 pm until Winter Warming hours begin.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by November 8th, 2019 to:
Manager of Community Development
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.