Community Disability Service Practitioner
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Community Disability Service Practitioner - Vegreville - Job ID J1019-0667
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Community Disability Service Practitioner - Vegreville
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Vegreville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Combination of 10 and 12 hour shifts, on a 2 week rotation
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $25.0000 - $27.3600 /Hour
Closing Date: 29/10/2019
Eiffel 65 & Leaf's Program
WJS Canada Disability support programs in Vegreville, AB, help adult residents who have a developmental disability strive for independence and self-sufficiency in their daily lives and inclusion in their community. Personalized planning and programming ensures that residents receive the support they need, from moderate to high level support for clients with multiple or complex support needs. We encourage family involvement and respect individual choices regarding activities and programming options.
While many of the core activities are similar to those of a Disability Service Worker, the Community Disability Service Practitioner is a more experienced, direct support role, providing direct support to individuals with disabilities and complex needs, as well as participating in assessment, person-centered planning and plan implementation. Working under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Disability Service Practitioner (DSP) applies their specialized education/ training and extensive experience to support the Disability Service Workers and persons with complex needs served by the programs. They are typically involved in more complex, complicated and/or specialized individual situations or environments
Schedule - Combination of days, evenings, sleep and weekends may be required.
In Your Role You Will
• Work a combination of days, evenings, weekends & on call rotation
• Participate in planning, development, monitoring and arranging medical appointments.
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Participates and supports planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Acts as a liaison, on behalf of the person in service, with the community, family members, guardians and employers.
• Communicates/documents information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes
• Assist/support individuals with developmental disabilities (and high health care needs) in a residential & community setting.
• Meets individuals complex needs ( i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills)
• Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Assist individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, social and recreational activity such as swimming.
• Observes/documents physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Diploma or Degree in Disabilities Studies, in related Social Sciences, Human Services or Special Needs programs.
• Minimum 1 year experience working with persons with developmental disabilities augmented by additional training and demonstrated responsibility in a relevant discipline/setting.
Experience with dual diagnosis, FASD, Schizophrenia, mental health & suicidal crisis
• Must have valid class 5 driver license with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Knowledge of developmental disabilities & experience writing and implementing program plans and goals an asset
• Work well in an environment with potential for violence in the workplace; physical intervention skills
• Work with multiple persons served, as well as, with staffing teams – with and without direct supervision
• A positive role model; calm, confident, patient, self motivated and motivates others
• Able to meet the requirements of service Agreement of individual(s) in service, follow instructions and function in a crisis
• Strong communication, administrative & computer skills
• First Aid/CPR Certification, Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
• Due to the nature of these programs and the client(s) served, preference will be given to mature, physically fit and highly skilled applicants with significant experience in the Disability Services field.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
•Individualized program planning
•Social Service Worker Diploma
•Social Work Diploma
To apply click on the link below: