Matthew House Toronto - Executive Director
Executive Director (Toronto)
Matthew House is a Toronto-based charitable organization that provides shelter and settlement support for refugee claimants who arrive in the city fleeing from war, prejudice, and other forms of persecution in their own countries. It currently operates four homes in the city, including an intake home, two homes for unaccompanied youth and a multi-family dwelling for the most vulnerable
families. Matthew House is a recognized leader in inspiring hope, restoring dignity and empowering independence for refugee claimants. It serves people of all faiths and advocates for the well-being of each individual. Its goal is to help refugees achieve selfsufficiency in this country.
As the leader of this organization, you will be a visionary leader and builder, an inspirational communicator and ambassador for the refugee cause, and a thought leader in the sector. You will be an experienced leader with tested operational skills and be adept at building and creating a positive culture with employees and dedicated volunteers. You’ll be as focused on serving our refugee house
guests as you will on the effective operation of the organization. You’ll have deep networks and the ability to inspire others to join our community and to help us add capacity and innovate with programs to address gaps in the system that are unique to refugees. Reporting to the board of directors, the Executive Director serves as chief executive of Matthew House Toronto and, in partnership with the board, is responsible for the success of the organization. Together, the board and Executive Director assure Matthew House Toronto’s relevance to the community, the accomplishment of its mission and vision, and the accountability of the organization to its diverse stakeholders.
Professional Experience / Qualifications:
• A values-driven, visionary leader
• 5 – 7 years of progressive people leadership responsibility in a voluntary sector like-sized organization
• Prior capability around the ability to manage day to day real operations while thinking strategically and long term
• Respects Christian roots and values of Matthew House
• Knowledge of fundraising and donor development strategies and approaches.
• Strong financial acumen - demonstrated success in managing a budget of $1 million
• Understanding of the reason behind and need for governance overall, and in particular in NFP context, including support for
• Passion for the refugee cause, combined with empathy and compassion for the people Matthew House serves
• Ability to influence others including the team, community, donors, sponsors and other stakeholders
• Flexibility to manage diverse needs, changing and extensive demands, and an evolving organization
• Excellent management and self-management skills – to build and manage a focused, high functioning team (including
volunteers) and to nurture a culture of diversity and inclusivity
• Forward thinker who is able to manage day-to-day operations while identifying opportunities and developing strategies and
plans for the future
• Demonstrated skills in strategic thinking and strategic planning
• Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to speak well in public forums
• Knowledge of and/or experience with working with refugee claimants
• Experience working in a shelter
• A second language
• University degree in social work, immigration, settlement services, or related fields.
This search is being conducted on behalf of Matthew House by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for
Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document –
we’d be pleased to connect with them.
By August 15, 2019 please apply with both your cover letter and resume by email to Licinia Neves at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about the position? Contact Licinia Neves at Licinia@crawfordconnect.com or 416.786.8295 / 1.866.647.5149.
Issues with applying? Please call 416.977.2913 or email email@example.com.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, by email, in confidence.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.