Nights Community Disability Support Worker
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Nights Community Disability Support Worker (4 hrs sleep) - Slave Lake - Job ID J0419-0153
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Nights Community Disability Support Worker (4 hrs sleep) - Slave Lake
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Slave Lake, , Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 32-40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
Scheduled Hours: 7pm to 7am, 8 hours regular time and 4 hours sleep (at $15/hr). Shifts will include working weekends and holidays.
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $19.7200 - $21.3000 /Hour
Closing Date: 15/04/2019
The WJS Canada Community Disability Services program in Slave Lake, AB, helps people with developmental disabilities become active and involved in their communities. In our passion to improve lives and develop life skills, we encourage inclusion and participation through community living and life skill coaching, career development, rest and relief for care-givers and family support. Our wide range of local programs and services includes supported independent and semi independent living, behaviour consultation, mental health and physical care.
The Overnight Community Disability Support Worker, working 32-40 hrs/wk, (7pm - 7am), is a front-line role who assists persons with complex needs, mental health concerns, and/or developmental disabilities to live in and actively participate in their community. During overnight hours they ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
This position reports to an assigned Team Leader.
In Your Role You Will
- Implement person-centered plans designed to provide instruction, guidance and assistance in a helpful and supportive manner
- Support individual with their personal life planning and goal setting and achievement.
- Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, assisting with direct care of individual when required.
- Maximize participation/inclusion at home and in the community and minimize risks in the client`s physical, social and recreational environments .
- Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
- Work with minimal supervision on an interdisciplinary team and cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
- Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
- Collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
- Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
- Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- Two (2) years experience working with individuals with a developmental disability.
- Grade 12 Diploma with a preference for College Certificate or Diploma
- MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
- Demonstrated skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
- Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
- Good computer skills are required as all files are electronic
- Clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention Check
- CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training ( if necessary, will consider providing training)
- Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities
- Aggressive behaviour
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Brain Injury
- Child and Youth Care Diploma
- Community Living
- Community Rehabilitation
- Crisis Intervention
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
- Group Home
- Individualized program planning
- Life Skills
- Restrictive procedures
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Supported Independent Living
- Trauma Informed Practice
To apply click on the link below: