Pleasant Solutions - General Legal Counsel
Not your everyday legal position. Work-life balanced, yet with variety and challenge: a position you will look forward to every day. Work with intelligent people in a friendly environment where you are valued but so is your time with family.
- Senior General Legal Counsel, both part-time and full-time will be considered
- Other Positions: We are also hiring for other positions at the executive level (for ourselves and acquired companies), technical-project managers, business analysts, software developers, etc). You may apply for multiple positions separately. If you know someone in any of these areas, please do them a quick and friendly favour by letting them know about this posting.
- Part time or full time are both completely acceptable to us (20 - 40 hours per week).
- Long-term position as opposed to short-term contract.
- Work-life balance is a very high priority: overtime will be basically non-existent.
- Flexible hours (for example: choose to start your day between 6am and 10am, work late some days and shorter on others).
- 95-100% of work will be in-house as opposed to for clients.
- Exciting to be intimately involved in the rapid growth of a Canadian technology company with a global reach.
- Medium levels of variety of type of work.
- Duties include conceptualizing and drafting contracts as well as reusable templates, negotiating legal terms, providing legal and general advice to management, and occasionally assisting with business negotiations.
- Content includes venture debt transactions, bespoke NDAs with clients, service project contracts with clients, collections litigation, acquisition and joint venture transactions, employment and HR, board resolutions and other governance, vendor agreements, due diligence, set up of holding companies and entity management, IP licensing contracts, etc.
- Research legal issues for areas needing deep insight.
- Reports directly to the CEO, who is very familiar with legal drafting and select legal fundamentals such as patent law.
- Provide a lawyer's perspective and advice about our Pleasant Contract Management software product.
- Supported by outside law firms as needed for areas of less experience, where additional capacity is needed, or where a second pair of eyes is desired.
- Assist our outside boutique patent firm with routine auxiliary documents and coordinate with patent firms across the globe for jurisdictional filings.
- Expected to be nearly flawless in ensuring no bullet point requirements are accidentally forgotten or skipped.
- Does not involve overtime or very high pressure environments.
- Does not involve multi-client relationship management.
- Highly intelligent.
- Masterful grasp of legal fundamentals (beyond knowing what to do, knowing why it needs to be done that way and when creatively taking alternative approaches is preferable).
- Great at balancing risk management versus pragmatism.
- Great communication skills and drafting skills.
- Takes pride in quality drafting.
- Many years of commercial law experience.
- Detail oriented
Nice To Have:
- Creative problem solver.
- Experience in a law firm or multiple in-house positions.
- Experience with technology or engineering companies.
About The Work Environment:
- Friendly, non-threatening, and non-political environment.
- Mid-sized company but retaining the speed and flexibility of a smaller company.
- We are a great environment for both outgoing people and those who are very shy and introverted (applicable to non-client facing positions).
- We strive to have every employee sitting near a window for natural light and to have plenty of plants throughout the office; we care about employee health.
- Free onsite massage therapy.
- Private nap rooms for isolated thinking time or for taking a nap if you didn’t sleep well last night.
- Atrium to enjoy the sun during lunch.
- Social events worth remembering (fencing competitions, curling, video game or board game parties, coding competitions, commando combat training, robotics club coming soon, etc).
- An example of our culture: Lunch together is in a very comfy sofa room, and even the quiet types are comfortable there.
- Unlimited access to pillage our kitchens for caffeine, sugar, healthy snacks, soups, and more :)
- Additional perks that are cost-shared like motorized sit-stand desks.
- Task focused: everyone in the company heavily uses centralized to-do lists to stay organized, prioritize, and coordinate.
- Fast paced
- Consistent work/life balance: mandatory overtime is very rare.
About The Company:
- Pleasant Solutions is a dynamic company headquartered in Edmonton, a large satellite office in Toronto/Vancouver, and small satellite offices across Canada and the USA (including in Calgary, Ottawa, Saskatoon, New York, Denver, Boston, etc)
- Silicon Valley kind of excitement and growth potential.
- Fast growth: One of the 200 fastest growing technology companies in North America with 955% growth over 5 years (based on growth rates in published rankings of the 2014 Profit 500 and 2013 Deloitte Technology Fast 500). Canadian Profit Guide ranked us #88 out of 500 for fast growth in Canada, announced in Sept 2015.
- Stable and well diversified.
- Full of smart and passionate people whom you can learn from.
- Very low employee turn-over rate, attesting to the value of working here.
- We do a mix of in-house product development, software development services, and IT services. For consulting, we build both large and small custom software for clients who need an internal system or are commercializing an idea. Our in-house products include the high-security Pleasant Password Server, an innovative tool that lets non-technical people build their own web applications using spreadsheets, an event ticketing system, and other business software.
- An innovative software producer with an aim of achieving results in creative ways.
- We develop high quality software you will take pride in. Our company name says it all.
- Socially conscious (for example, we pay for employees to sponsor hundreds of WorldVision children).
- What do you have to lose by exploring the possibility? Applying does not take long and we keep your application confidential (never disclosed to existing employer).
- Apply online today at https://careers.pleasantsolutions.com
- Even if you don't have your resume updated or ready to go, apply anyways, we want to hear from you!
- Please do not apply via email, apply only by visiting the https://careers.pleasantsolutions.com site.