Thrift Intern, MCCA
Thrift Intern, MCCA
Applications Close Date
Mar 14, 2019
May 06, 2019
Start Date Flexible
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active membership or participation in a Christian church; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
•Self-motivated and willing to take initiative, while at the same time responding to the directions of the Thrift Shop Coordinator, and willingness to work as a team with other Thrift staff.
•Firm commitment to accountability and reliability.
•Strong interpersonal skills; willing and able to work with a variety of people; friendly, outgoing.
•Marketing and communications background
•Community development experience and/or education
•Willingness to attend Planting Peace Gathering April 28 – May 4, 2019
•Ability to work from May 6 to August 9 (unless otherwise negotiated)
•Willingness to travel with other staff to Edmonton, Lethbridge, and Taber
•Successful Police Record Check clearance upon hire
This short-term internship will support and assist the Thrift Shop Coordinator in regard to marketing, social media, and volunteer management. The intern will work in the MCC Alberta office and have some opportunity to work with staff of the Alberta thrift stores (located in Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, and Taber). The internship will evolve based on the strengths and interests of the intern and needs of the Thrift Shop Coordinator.
Position is contingent on external funding, to be confirmed in April.
This internship is a part of a comprehensive summer internship program designed to give students firsthand experience within a global non-profit in areas related to relief, development, and peace. In conjunction with your supervisor, you will be able to set your own learning goals and outcomes for the internship. You will be a part of cohort of summer interns who will meet regularly throughout the summer to share experiences, learn from each other, and receive ongoing training. Your summer will begin with Planting Peace Gathering, a peace conference at Camp Valaqua, and then you will start your 14 week internship. You may have the option of joining an international learning tour at the conclusion of your internship at your own expense.
Occasional evening and weekend work
• Work with MCCA Thrift Leadership Team (ATLT) to devise a marketing plan that meets the goals of Thrift both provincially and locally at the Shop level.
• Develop a quantitative marketing and promotions strategy that reflects the plan and priorities established by the ATLT
• Using the MCC Canada social media policies, develop MCCA best practices as they pertain to social media.
• Train MCCA Thrift staff on the social media policies and best practices
• Assist Thrift Shop Coordinator in establishing Volunteer Training modules and resources for use in the Shops
• Assist Thrift Shop Coordinator in establishing volunteer management processes, procedures and policies for implementation for all MCCA programs
• Train Shop staff on the policies and procedures of volunteer management in Alberta
• Train programs staff who use volunteers on the policies and procedures of volunteer management in Alberta.
• Board manual updates and standardizing for each Shop
• Shop biography sheets
• Attend monthly staff meetings and other staff gatherings; lead reflections as required
• Learn about MCC through conversations and readings
• If possible, assist with Relief Sale in June
• Participate in summer intern meetings approximately every two weeks
• Model non-violent peacemaking in the workplace and community through respectful interactions & work relationships