WJS Canada - Disability Service Practitioner
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Disability Service Practitioner - Edmonton - Job ID J0519-0412Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Disability Service Practitioner - Edmonton
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Must be available to work flexible shifts and on call hours
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $24.9400 - $27.3600 /Hour
The Community Disability Services program in Edmonton, Alberta helps people with developmental disabilities high behaviours, complex mental health needs and addictions. Through community living and life skill coaching, career development and family support, our highly skilled team encourage inclusion and participation to become active and involved in their communities.
Challenging behaviours will occur on a daily basis and therefore, only those with previous experienced with de-escalation techniques and providing supports to persons with high behaviours will be contacted for an interview.The Position
While many of the core activities are similar to those of a Disability Service Worker, the Disability Service Practitioner is typically involved in more complex, complicated and/or specialized individual situations or environments.
As a Disability Support Practitioner in this 24 hour program, you will provide one on one support for a 23yr old female diagnosed with FASD, Psychosis NOS, Substance Use Disorder, ADHD, who also has past history of instability, emotional trauma, high risk behaviors and substance use. Behaviors of concern: depression, low frustration tolerance, anger, impulsivity, lack of focus, history of cutting, substance abuse (meth/pot), mental health aggravated by substance abuse, domestic violence, shoplifting, verbal/physical aggression.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist/support individuals with high behaviours within residence & community.
• Teach, support and model personal care, life skills, anger management skills and social/occupational skills
• Assist person served with daily tasks at the residence (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
• Assist with design, implementing and evaluating ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Plan, transport (in your own vehicle) and participate in individuals' vocational, recreational activities, appointments, etc.
• Encourage opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Liaises, on behalf of the person in service, with the community, family members, guardians and employers.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MANDATORY - significant experience in Community Disability Services field.
• Diploma or Degree in Disabilities Studies, in related Social Sciences, Human Services or Special Needs programs.
• Experience with high behavioral clients, FASD, ADHD, developmental delays, epilepsy, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, PTSD .
• Must have valid class 5 driver license with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Knowledge of developmental disabilities & experience writing and implementing program plans and goals an asset
• Work well in an environment with potential for violence in the workplace; physical intervention skills
• Work with multiple persons served, as well as, with staffing teams – with and without direct supervision
• A positive role model; calm, confident, patient, self motivated and motivates others
• Able to meet the requirements of service Agreement of individual(s) in service, follow instructions and function in a crisis
• Strong communication, administrative & computer skills
• First Aid/CPR Certification, Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.comNo telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Addictions - 3 year(s)
- Disability Practitioner - 3 year(s)
- FASD - 3 year(s)
- Developmental Disabilities - 5 year(s)
- Supervisor - 2 year(s)
- Behaviour Management
- Behaviour Strategies
- Behavioural Intervention
- Complex Needs
- Disability Support
- Performance Management
- Program Coordinator
- Program Supervisor
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
To apply click on the link below: