WJS Canada - Disability Support Worker
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Disability Support Worker (Nights sleep) - Edmonton
Job ID J1019-0092
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Disability Support Worker (Nights sleep) - Edmonton
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Overnight sleep shift (10pm-8am) Weekdays AND (8pm-8am) Every second weekend
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $20.0900 - $23.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: 14/10/2019
WJS Canada works with challenged individuals develop socially acceptable behaviours and make connections within their communities. Support services are based on empowering individuals to develop to their maximum potential in the least disruptive manner possible, we accomplish this by tailoring individual behavioural support plans to meet their emotional, behavioral and mental health needs.
WJS Canada is hiring for a highly motivated Complex Behaviours Disability Support Worker to support/supervise a client with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities including: developmental challenges, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) and dual diagnosis. In this role, you will deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis. During overnight hours, staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the person in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
In Your Role You Will
Overnight sleep shift: $20.09 - $23.00/hr during awake hours & $15.00/hr Sleep wage
• During overnight hours staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
• Deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis.
• During overnight hours provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Administer medication, first aid, or notify emergency medical personnel if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
Preference will be given to mature, physically fit and highly skilled applicants with significant experience in Disability Services & challenging behaviours.
• Only those applicants with a minimum 2+ years experience working with children/youth with challenging behaviours & significant mental health concerns will be considered for this challenging position
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Personal care/hygiene experience.
• Valid class 5 driver license (not GDL – no restrictions) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence; physical intervention skills an asset
• Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures & Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada provides social services to children, youth, adults and families facing difficulties. We provide support and services to persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth, offenders who wish to rejoin and contribute to their community and adults recovering from an acquired brain injury.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, employer paid extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Complex Needs - 2 year(s)
- Developmental Disabilities - 2 year(s)
- Disability Support - 2 year(s)
- Abuse protocol
- Aggressive behaviour
- Child and youth care
- Child and Youth Care Diploma
- Correctional Services
- Mental Health
- Social Service Worker Diploma