WJS Canada - FASD Community Specialist
WJS Canada - FASD Community Specialist
Slave Lake Wabasca - Job ID J0819-0747
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: FASD Community Specialist - Slave Lake Wabasca
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
Scheduled Hours: Flexible schedule up to 40 hours/week
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $0.0000 - $0.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: 08/09/2019
The FASD program provides outreach and support services for adults and children affected by FASD, assists clients in obtaining an assessment/diagnosis and helps connect individuals & their families to other local services.
We are currently recruiting a Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Community Specialist for the Slave Lake & Wabasca communities. This team member will provide services to individuals and families/caregivers who experience chronic and persistent challenges related to FASD. Individuals are supported through assessment/diagnosis, implementation of diagnostic recommendations and follow up. Reports to the Program Manager.
In Your Role You Will
• Conduct home visits and phone consultations with FASD clients & families in the Slave Lake & Wabasca region.
• Decrease risk taking behaviors through harm reduction strategies
• Develop strength based case management plans and interventions and opportunities to build new, positive relationships.
• Help individuals understand the diagnostic process, connect with diagnostic clinics and accompany individuals to appointments.
• Assist affected individuals (and family members, caregivers, educators, service providers, counselors, etc.) in developing positive daily living strategies.
• Make supported referrals to other services/agencies i.e., AADAC, AISH, justice agencies, housing, treatment/health related services, shelters, Food Bank, Integrative Behaviour Support Services, Parenting Programs, etc.
• Advocate for individuals and educate the community on the specific needs and issues of persons with FASD.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• At least two (2+) years of working with individuals or families affected by FASD
• Strong knowledge of FASD outreach, human service needs and support.
• Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Rehabilitation, Child and Youth Care or other related Human Services equivalency
• Aboriginal Awareness & Indigenous culture
• Experience and understanding of Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid Alberta Driver’s Licence, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate
• Suicide Intervention and Prevention Training
• Cultural sensitive training.
What WJS Canada does
Our strength is in our people, our employees, and our culture is caring!
We believe that together we can make a difference in the lives of others - through Teamwork, Passion & Quality service. Every day our committed team members help individuals, youth and families build confidence and skills to take on life's challenges and break barriers.
Our Employees Enjoy
Professional development and intensive skills training provides WJS Canada employees with the tools to do the job. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties, as well as, health and dental packages and innovative wellness programs.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- FASD - 2 year(s)
- Social Work - 2 year(s)
- Child and Youth Care Diploma
- Child welfare
- Child, Youth And Family Enhancement Act
- Family Service Worker
- Family Services
- Social Service
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Social Worker
- Youth Worker
To apply go to: