WJS - Family Service Specialist
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Family Service Specialist (3 month temporary) - Lac La Biche - Job ID J0619-0994
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Family Service Specialist (3 month temporary) - Lac La Biche
Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time
Location: Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
Scheduled Hours: Position is 40 hours a week - 8 hours per day but must be flexible in order to accommodate home visits, supervised visits, and travel.
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $27.6800 - $30.5300 /Hour
Caring for the child, caring for the family.
Work directly with families, youth and children in Lac La Biche, AB and the surrounding community as a Family Service Specilist. Working as the primary caseworker, you will counsel and provide therapeutic interventions under the Collaborative Service Delivery model, by coordinating family care teams to provide support and ensure best outcomes for families. Our program structure is one that our staff will become the compass point for the family and others involved in the case.
Lac La Biche is a hamlet in Alberta, located approximately 220 km northeast of the provincial capital of Edmonton, on the southern shore of Lac la Biche. With more than 100 lakes and over 1,300 beach-side campsites and cabins, offering 70% of Alberta’s Class A beaches, the Lac La Biche region is a little piece of paradise in northeast Alberta.
The Family Service Specialist is responsible for facilitating planned interventions and services aimed at strengthening and preserving families by providing home-based, family-centered services to promote the protection and well-being of children in their homes, as well as support and educate parents toward improvements in their parenting abilities. The Family Service Specialist reports to the Program Manager.
Working a flexible schedule, the Family Service Specialist will work regular office hours, as well as some evening & weekend hours, up to 40 hr/week. Flexibility during evenings & weekends is required in order to accommodate home visits and supervised visits when families are together & require the most support.
***This is a TEMPORARY position for maternity leave coverage December 2, 2019 to February 28, 2020***
In Your Role You Will
• Work with youth who need intervention and are at risk of suicide or harming themselves, or youth living a lifestyle that is considered high risk ( i.e. prostitution, drugs, etc)
• Compassionately use your knowledge of child development, positive discipline strategies and family dynamics to provide education (ex. parenting skills) and support services to families in their own homes.
• Establish trusting relationships with children and families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Provide flexible and responsive client centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families.
• Provide individual and group counseling as appropriate.
• A key component of this position is supporting children and families to connect with resources and organizing ongoing service delivery with stakeholders.
• Collaborate and/or work as a team with community systems (i.e. school), specialized service providers, volunteers and extended family members.
• Conduct visits in the family home and/or community and be available for evening/weekend visits and/or on standby as required.
• Attend supervised visits with families that are involved with the Child and Family Services.
• Transport individuals or families as required.
• Accommodate and respect cultural, social and religious heritage.
• Liaise with Child and Family Services and other external agencies/professionals involved with families served.
• Attend regular meetings with contractors and community interagency meetings
• Promote the child and family related program services offered by the WJS Canada Family Services Centre and develop initiatives to support children, youth and families.
• Follow up on closed case files to ensure continued family safety and implementation of individual program plans.
• Administrative duties including typing/filing reports, compiling monthly reports, etc.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Diploma in Social Services, Bachelor of Social work or similar education. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
• 3 years experience working with families in a human or family services field.
• Demonstrated knowledge of therapeutic and intervention theories and the stages of child development;
• Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of diverse communities and to resolve conflict in an effective manner;
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Strong understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid CPR/First Aid and WHMIS
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Intervention - 1 year(s)
- Alberta College of Social Workers
- At Risk Youth
- Behaviour Management
- Behaviour Strategies
- Behavioural Intervention
- Child and youth care
- Child Care Worker
- Child protection
- Child, Youth And Family Enhancement Act
- Community Support Worker
- Complex Needs
- Family Counselling
- Family enhancement
- Family intervention
- Family Service Worker
- Family Services
- First Nations
- Foster care
- Harm Reduction
- Life Skills
- Parent Educator
- Probation Officer
- Restorative Juctice
- Social Service
- Social Work
- Social Worker
To apply please go the the link below: