Casual Complex Behaviours Disability Service Worker
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Casual Complex Behaviours Disability Service Worker (J0718-0621) - Edmonton - Job ID J0718-0621
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Casual Complex Behaviours Disability Service Worker (J0718-0621) - Edmonton
Job Type: Casual/On Call
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: casual hours as required
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Various shifts available, will be cross-trained and required to provide support in two programs
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $18.0900 - $23.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: 13/11/2018
WJS Canada offers support and advice to families, supporters and partner agencies to help challenged individuals develop socially acceptable behaviours and make connections within their communities. These services are based on empowering individuals to develop to their maximum potential in the least disruptive manner possible. For individuals within WJS services, we tailor behavioural support plans to meet their emotional, behavioral and mental health needs.
You will be cross trained in two different programs (as detailed below) and required to support either program on a casual/on call basis:
#1 Complex Behaviours program (young female adult):
Support/supervise a teenager with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities including: developmental challenges, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) and dual diagnosis.
8:00am to 8:00pm
8:00pm to 8:00am awake
8:00pm to 8:00am (8hours sleep)
#2 Acquired Brain Injury Program (Senior male):
Provides support to a senior male with an Acquired Brain Injury in his own home. You will support the individual with daily hygiene and community participation, as well as, provide physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision. Drawing upon specialized training, you will use the “tell-show-do” method and positive reinforcement to support the client to acquire/reacquire life skills and competencies in: life skills; job coaching; cognitive retraining; memory aids; self-help, etc.
7:00am to 3:00pm
3:00pm to 11:00pm
11:00pm to 7:00am (3 hours sleep)
***Sleep rate = $13.60/hr***
In Your Role You Will
• Implement person-centered plans designed to provide instruction, guidance and assistance in a helpful and supportive manner
• Support individuals with their personal life planning and goal setting and achievement.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, assisting with direct care of individual when required.
• Maximize participation/inclusion at home and in the community and minimize risks in the client`s physical, social and recreational environments .
• Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
• Work with minimal supervision
• Solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions as a team.
• Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
• Collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
• Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
Preference will be given to mature, physically fit and highly skilled applicants with significant experience in Disability Services & challenging behaviours.
• Only those applicants with a minimum 2+ years experience working with persons with aggressive behaviours & significant mental health concerns will be considered for this challenging position
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Personal care/hygiene experience.
• Valid class 5 driver license (not GDL – no restrictions) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence; physical intervention skills an asset
• Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures & Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Complex Needs - 2 year(s)
- Developmental Disabilities - 2 year(s)
- Disability Support - 2 year(s)
- Abuse protocol
- Aggressive behaviour
- Child and youth care
- Child and Youth Care Diploma
- Correctional Services
- Mental Health
- Social Service Worker Diploma
To apply click on the link below: