Community Disability Support Workers (8 positions)
WJS Canada Job Posting Alert: Community Disability Support Workers (8 positions) - Slave Lake - Job ID J1018-0866
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Community Disability Support Workers (8 positions) - Slave Lake
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Set rotation as deemed required
Number of Positions: 8
Compensation: $20.2700 - $27.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: 19/11/2018
Helping people with diverse abilities thrive in their communities
WJS Canada is recruiting 8 full-time experienced Community Disability Support Workers (CDSW) for a proposed new 24 hr residential program in Slave Lake, Alberta, to support an adult with developmental disability and complex mental health needs.
Slave Lake is a small town in northern Alberta about 200 km northwest of Edmonton and a similar distance southwest of Fort McMurray. It is located on the southeast shore of Lesser Slave Lake and provides ample fishing and outdoor adventures. For more information visit http://www.slavelakeregion.ca/
Our dedicated and caring staff work a variety of shifts within this residential home to provide high quality, personalized care, helping those we serve to overcome their challenges and develop their strengths. We ensure a full life by forging friendships, nurturing a sense of belonging and encouraging community inclusion.
We encourage every individual we serve to participate in the development of their care plan, and we also invite family members and loved ones to become involved. This way we can be sure the individual’s unique strengths, personal goals and activity preferences are taken into account.
When the individual does not have an extended support system, WJS Canada staff advocates for them and ensures they are heard, valued and treated with respect.
In Your Role You Will
***For the additional experience required and care provided, this Complex Needs position qualifies for an additional $3/hr complex needs rate***
• Assist and support individual with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., hygiene (bathing, toileting, dental care, etc.), personal care (model appropriate behaviors), life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities - 3 year(s)
- Developmental Disabilities - 3 year(s)
- Disability Support - 3 year(s)
- Group Home - 3 year(s)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelors- Other
- Community Living
- Community Support Worker
- Complex Needs
- Education Assistant
- Health Care Aide
- Individualized program planning
- Life Skills
- Personal Support Work
- Personal Support Worker
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Special Needs
- Supported Independent Living
To apply click on the link below: