Nights Community Disability Worker (full time)- Bonnyville - Job ID J0818-0235
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Nights Community Disability Worker (full time)- Bonnyville
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 36-48
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Night Shift hours: 1300 to 0900: Regular hourly rate for 12 awake hours and sleep rate $13.60/hr for 8 hours
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $18.7000 - $21.6300 /Hour
Closing Date: 21/08/2018
WJS Canada operates several community living programs in the town of Bonnyville to support people with developmental disabilities in becoming active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, and dual diagnosis. Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on the individuals and their progress. We encourage daily independence and self-sufficiency together with community inclusion.
The Town of Bonnyville is located in northeastern Alberta, approximately 240 kilometers (150 miles) from the provincial capital of Edmonton. A great place to work, play and raise a family, it provides the perfect mix of community services through health, educational, recreation and cultural facilities. Surrounded by lakes and majestic boreal forest it’s a treasure trove of natural wonders. For more information visit: http://town.bonnyville.ab.ca/index.php
The Night shift Community Disability Support Worker (DSW) provides individualized support and encouragement to three adults with developmental disabilities. They require home support to set and achieve independent living skills goals (budgeting, cooking, healthy eating, etc.). During overnight hours, the night shift worker will ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and be available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Assist residents with daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum High School Diploma
• Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent preferred
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
• Experience with Acquired Brain Injury rehabilitation an asset
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities - 1 year(s)
- Brain Injury
- Community Living
- Community Rehabilitation
- Community Support Worker
- Developmental Disabilities
- Disability Support
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
- Group Home
- Individualized program planning
- Key Worker
- Life Skills
- Personal Support Worker
- Residence Worker
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Special Needs
- Support Worker
- Supported Independent Living
To apply click on the link below: