Course Registration 101
While our Admissions Office may be closed during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Admissions team is still working from home and available to help you with your course selection and registration for the 2020/21 academic year. If you know who your Admissions Counsellor is, please reach out to them directly. If you’re not sure who your Admissions Counsellor is, please call our Admissions mainline at 780-465-8334 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First thing’s first…
Course registration opens April 1 for new students. Before you can register in classes, you’ll need to pay your non-refundable tuition deposit. This will generate your 6-digit King’s Student ID Number and open your access to your online student account.
- Pay your tuition deposit online
- BA, BSc, BCom, BMus Applicants: your tuition deposit is $350 until June 15. After June 15 it increases to $400.
- BEd Applicants: your tuition deposit is $950 until June 15. After June 15 it increases to $1000.
- International Applicants*: your tuition deposit is $10,000 and is due by June 15.
*International Applicants: We recommend waiting until the COVID-19 situation stabilizes before paying the deposit as it will only be refundable if your study permit application is refused. Please take into account the feasibility of travel for the beginning of the semester and be aware that the delayed payment of your tuition deposit will unfortunately impact course availability.
Important things to keep in mind
- All courses are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The earlier you pay your tuition deposit and register in courses, the more flexibility you’ll have in building your schedule and selecting your electives.
- If you are the recipient of a Scholarship, Bursary, or Award from King’s (excluding the automatic entrance scholarships) you must pay your tuition deposit and register in courses by June 15 in order to accept your award.
Selecting your first-year courses
- Mandatory first-year courses: As you begin building your course schedule, it is important to know that there are required first-year courses common in all BA, BSc, BCom, and BMus programs:
- ENGL 214 and ENGL 215
- INST 200 and INST 210
- UNIV 050 (Orientation)
- Program-specific first-year courses: Each program has specific first-year courses. These are important and need to be prioritized in your scheduling, as many courses are prerequisites for second year courses. Once you’ve paid your tuition deposit, you will receive a “King's Registration Information”email that contains your program's first-year course list, as well as a program checklist to help you track and visualize your program’s course requirements.
- Scheduling tips:
- It is easier to schedule courses with the fewest sections first. Some courses are only offered at one time, while other may have several sections.
- Schedule ENGL 214 and ENGL 215 last, as they have the greatest number of sections.
- Many courses (e.g. Science, Math, Business, etc.) will have a lab in addition to the class. Pencil in all of the lab options and select the lab time that best fits your schedule once all of your other courses have been selected.
Once you’ve selected your courses and built your schedule, it’s time to register in them through your Online Services account. You’ll need to sign in using your King’s Student ID Number, which you can find in King’s Registration Information email that you received.
You will be prompted to read and agree to the “Student Contractual Obligations” before you can register in courses. Once you’ve done that, navigate to “Registration” and then “My Online Registration” to begin adding your courses one-by-one to your Fall and Winter terms.