Back to Programs


Pre-Architecture Program

Whether you study here for one year, two years or for an entire degree, King's is a great place to prepare for future professional studies.  Begin your studies in a faith-based environment before continuing your education elsewhere.

What is Architecture?

An architect is a person trained and licensed to plan, design, and oversee the construction of buildings. An architect also provides services in connection with the design and construction of buildings and the space within the site surrounding the buildings. Applicants in the Architecture program have the opportunity to pursue careers in career as an Architect, Architectural Technologist, or as an Interior or Spatial Designer.

Architecture at: University of Calgary

Master's Degree - Faculty of Environmental Design

  • Requires an undergraduate degree of any kind
  • Requires 3.0 GPA, Letter of Interest, Letter of Reference, Portfolio, and Work Experience in area of interest

Recommended Undergraduate degree – 3-year Bachelor of General Studies with a Minor in Architectural Studies (architecture minor available through University of Calgary as a minor in the following degrees: General Studies, Fine Arts, Humanities, Science, Management and Social Sciences.)

The Advantage

The Architecture minor will substitute for the first year of the University of Calgary’s Master's of Environmental Design. Students can complete their Master's degree in six years instead of seven years.

King’s offers one or two years of transfer credit into the University of Calgary's undergraduate program. The shortest route to obtaining your Master's is to transfer from King's into the University of Calgary's 3-year Bachelor of General Studies (no major) with an Architecture minor.

Architecture at: Dalhousie University

This architecture program includes two degrees:

  • Years 1-2: Courses on any subject at any university
  • Years 3-4: Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies (BEDS)
  • Years 5-6: Master of Architecture (MArch)

Architecture at: University of Manitoba

Environmental Design Program (4 year) Undergraduate Degree

First Year: breadth courses take at any educational institution and must include:

  • 6 credits in Faculty of Arts (excluding Fine Arts credits)
  • 6 credits in Faculty of Science
  • 6 credits in either Arts or Science
  • 3 credits written English credits
  • 3 credits Mathematics credits
  • 6 elective credits
  • To be accepted into this program, students must maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher in their first year courses

King’s can offer the first year of breadth courses for transfer into this Environmental Design Program.

Architecture Programs are also available through the University of British Columbia, University of Waterloo, Carleton University, University of Toronto, McGill University, University of Laval, and the University of Montreal.


Fall Program start date
Sep 5, 2017

Fall Application Deadline
Aug 15, 2017

Winter Program start date
Jan 4, 2017

Winter Application Deadline
Dec 1, 2017

Apply Now