Whether you study here for one year, two years, or for an entire degree, King's is a great place to prepare for future professional studies. Begin your studies in a faith-based environment before continuing your education elsewhere.
What is Architecture?
An architect is a person trained and licensed to plan, design, and oversee the construction of buildings. An architect also provides services in connection with the design and construction of buildings and the space within the site surrounding the buildings. Architecture program students have the opportunity to pursue careers as an Architect, Architectural Technologist, or as an Interior or Spatial Designer.
Architecture at: University of Calgary
Master's Degree - Faculty of Environmental Design
- Requires an undergraduate degree of any kind
- Requires 3.0 GPA, Letter of Interest, Letter of Reference, Portfolio, and Work Experience in area of interest
Recommended Undergraduate degree 3-year Bachelor of General Studies with a Minor in Architectural Studies (architecture minor available through University of Calgary as a minor in the following degrees: General Studies, Fine Arts, Humanities, Science, Management, and Social Sciences.)
The Architecture minor will substitute for the first year of the University of Calgary’s Masters of Environmental Design. Students can complete their Master's degree in six years instead of seven years.
King’s offers one or two years of transfer credit into the University of Calgary's undergraduate program. The shortest route to obtaining your Masters is to transfer from King's into the University of Calgary's 3-year Bachelor of General Studies (no major) with an Architecture minor.
Architecture at: Dalhousie University
This architecture program includes two degrees:
- Years 1-2: Courses on any subject at any university
- Years 3-4: Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies (BEDS)
- Years 5-6: Master of Architecture (MArch)
Architecture at: University of Manitoba
Environmental Design Program (4 year) Undergraduate Degree.
First Year: breadth courses take at any educational institution and must include:
- 6 credits in Faculty of Arts (excluding Fine Arts credits)
- 6 credits in Faculty of Science
- 6 credits in either Arts or Science
- 3 credits written English credits
- 3 credits Mathematics credits
- 6 elective credits
- To be accepted into this program, students must maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher in their first year courses
King’s can offer the first year of breadth courses for transfer into this Environmental Design Program.
Architecture Programs are also available through the University of British Columbia, University of Waterloo, Carleton University, University of Toronto, McGill University, University of Laval, and the University of Montreal.