Study Social Science at King's
Make a difference in the world by studying a variety of disciplines. The Social Science program will expose students to topics on human health, non-discriminatory economic systems, equitable public policy, various social structures, international relationships, human psychology and more.
This flexible concentration is excellent preparation for careers in the human services sector, and work for social justice agencies. Many students are interested in more than one area of study and find it difficult to choose just one. The Social Science major allows students to adjust their program to areas that interest them most, drawn from economics, political science, sociology, psychology, geography, education and history.
One route that many students take is the After-Degree in Education after the Social Science major. Its flexibility make it well-suited for students wishing to teach Elementary Education and Secondary Education, providing the perfect range of courses that cover many aspects of childhood development, as well as the content for Social Studies as a Teachable Major. King's has expanded its kinesiology offerings, many of them counting towards the Social Science major, and this allows the degree to be taken for Phys Ed as a Teachable Major as well.
In addition to the above, Social Science at King's—particularly the sports and recreation stream—is excellent preparation for students looking to enter careers related to sports and athletics, kinesiology, recreation management and movement instruction. It is a recommended route to take for professional programs like occupational therapy or physiotherapy.
Social Science Program Highlights
- Take the opportunity to incorporate an incredible breadth of courses and interests into your degree with this extremely flexible concentration
- Expose yourself to a variety of academic disciplines and dig deeper into why society, and our world, functions the way that it does
- Recognize the relationship between theory and real-world social phenomena
- Unpack the causes of chronic social problems (i.e. poverty, inequality, etc.) from different points of view (historical, economic, psychological)
- Discover the concentration as an excellent preparation for many specific fields of study, for instance the Sports and Recreation stream, which prepares you for careers in physical education, kinesiology and the human body
- Learn to make decisions that more accurately represent the core principles of your faith and, by extension, bring about a better world for everyone
Social Science Program Options
Available as a concentration
- 3-year Bachelor of Arts
- 4-year Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies