Leadership Quality Standard Certificate
The Leadership Quality Standard (LQS) certificate is the Government of Alberta's requirement for educators looking to explore careers as principals and vice-principals. The LQS certificate ensures individuals entering roles have a common level of preparation by developing necessary competencies such as providing instructional leadership, managing school operations and resources, fostering effective leaderships, etc.
Participants in this online program (two 3-credit courses) will learn to lead sustainably and according to how students and school personnel might flourish as individuals, a community, in society, and in relation to the natural world.
EDUC 510 – Leadership and Vision
This course asks students to connect their motivations for leadership with the goal of service so that students and school personnel can flourish as individuals and as a community. Students are challenged to develop personal vision and values to purposefully lead from the heart in a manner that understands and responds to the contexts impacting schools, supports high-quality teaching and learning, and demonstrates the competencies aligned to the Leadership Quality Standard.
EDUC 511 – Leadership and Action
This course examines actions school leaders take in support of their call to the vocation of school leadership and their vision for student engagement, learning, and well-being. Students study the alignment of policies and procedures with the management of school operations and resources in order to support the desired teaching and learning practices in a manner that demonstrates the competencies aligned to the Leadership Quality Standard. The course also surveys improving the instructional program.
- Application Deadline: June 15, 2023
- Course 1: July 3 – 21, 2023
- Course 2: August 31 – December 8, 2023
- Completed B.Ed. degree, or its equivalent, from an accredited institution.
- Valid teaching certificate (Alberta applicants require a Permanent Teaching Certificate, Alberta issued Interim Teaching Certificate will require a supporting letter).
- Three years or more of approved teaching experience while holding a valid Alberta teaching certificate or an approved teaching certificate issued by a jurisdiction outside of Alberta. This is to be demonstrated through the confirmation of teaching experience and a supporting letter from the current principal.
- International Applicants and out of province students will be required to provide a supporting letter confirming at least 3 years of teaching experience.
- Completion of a brief interview with the Dean of Education to chat about your passions for education and plans for the future.