Study a Bachelor of Arts in History at King's
Open up the potential of your historical imagination. What might it have been like to live in London during the darkest days of World War II? How might the first years of European encounters with the First Peoples of North America have felt? Engage with incredible stories of how humans lived, fought, and thought in times and places very different from our own.
History is a fantastic program for those who want to understand the depth and complexity of life. It provides students with a deeper understanding of modern day conflicts, ideas, and assumptions about the world. Through reading, research, and critical writing, students develop and refine their ability to think critically, creatively, and imaginatively. Graduates of the history program become more sensitive to the nature of cultural formation and are able to apply their understanding of the past to work and life.
History graduates who are gainfully employed
Unique courses in the History program
Students who are satisfied with their overall education
History Program Highlights
- Study a varied curriculum including courses in British, European, American, Canadian, Russian, and world history.
- Carry out independent research using primary sources under the direct supervision of a faculty member.
- Specialize in thematic areas such as the Atlantic World, war and peace, environmental history, and the history of Christianity.
- Expose yourself to different ways of doing history including historical methods, historiography courses, and learning to ask deeper questions about why and how we study the past.
- Improve employable skills such as initiative, teamwork, and good communication.
- Develop your own viewpoints and to listen to others in small classes full of interaction and discussion.
- Participate in field trips and take advantage of study abroad courses through the CCCU Best Semester program.
History Program Options
Available as a major
- 4-year Bachelor of Arts
- 4-year Bachelor of Arts in Politics-History-Economics
Available as a concentration
- 3-year Bachelor of Arts
- 4-year Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies
Available as a minor
The book that I am currently working on explores human experiences during the Second World War. I am trying to capture the lived experience of the war, as seen through the eyes and captured in the words…
After graduating from both the history and education programs at King’s, I began working in museum education which enabled me to focus on my love for history more than I would have been able to…
I am currently pursuing a Masters of Art in Public History at the University of Victoria because I am passionate about people. The general understand is that history is boring and only features dead guys…