Study a Bachelor of Arts in English at King's
English provides a foundation for reading, analysis, and self-expression. It's essential for accurate, precise communication in all walks of life. We are committed to a Christian worldview: if we want to transform the world, we have to begin by transforming the mind. English teaches you how to read circumstances and people, to place the stories of the day in the wider context of culture's greatest stories. It prepares you to read critically and write clearly with the precision of a scalpel and creativity of an artist.
Business, journalism, political service, public relations, teaching--English lays the foundation for jobs in both public and private sectors. As Percy Bysshe Shelley once argued, poets (and, may we add, English majors) are the "unacknowledged legislators of the world." In other words, stories have power.
English Program Highlights
- Appreciate and understand what makes a written text literary and why readers return to great literary works to provide pleasure and insight into the human condition.
- Learn to to analyze and communicate effectively.
- Discover literature through the study of story, figures of speech, and forms of language brilliantly and extravagantly employed by poets, playwrights, and writers of fiction.
- Utilize the power of language to shape and illuminate--or be made aware of how it can misshape and obscure.
- Engage with major works in the British and Canadian traditions to see how they intersect with other global literature, providing a rigorous introduction to historic and contemporary literary theory.
- Study the development of clear, correct writing skills so that you are equipped to make your voices heard.
- Work to produce publications such as the student newspaper and creative arts publication.
English Program Options
Available as a major:
- 4-Year Bachelor of Arts
Available as a concentration:
- 3-Year Bachelor of Arts
- 4-Year Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies
Available as a minor
- B.A. B.Com., B.Mus., 4-Year B.Sc.(BIOL & CMPT majors)