The accounting stream prepares students to wield numbers and financial management to succeed in the world of business. This stream is particulary well suited for those wanting to pursue their Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or enter careers related to the financial aspects of business.
In addition to the required general courses for a BCom, students specializing in Accounting should take the following:
- BUSI 370 - Introduction to Finance
- BUSI 371 - Intermediate Finance
- BUSI 353 - Intermediate Financial Accounting I
- BUSI 354 - Intermediate Financial Accounting II
- BUSI 355 - Management Accounting
- BUSI 357 - Advanced Management Accounting
- BUSI 361 - Tax Principles
- BUSI 411 - Accounting and Business Management
- BUSI 460 - Audit
The timing of the program is very flexible, so you can plan out your schedule to fit your own needs. Most students choose to take several business courses and then complete many foundation and breadth courses in the first year. This gives greater flexibility in their second or third year to participate in an exchange at one of our partner institutions around the globe. If you are pursuing an accounting designation, you need to ensure you complete the required courses when they are offered (some courses are offered once every two years). Every student is assigned a faculty advisor to help with course selection throughout their program.
Program advising streams are carefully selected groups of courses designed to prepare students for employment and professional study in areas of interest to them.