Lend a Helping Hand
The holiday season is quickly approaching and there are so many ways for us to give back to our community. The City of Edmonton has many charitable organizations that work to provide a comfortable and warm environment for our city's less fortunate. During this time, money can be tight. However, volunteering some of our time connects us with family, friends and members of our community. Here are a couple of organizations that you can get involved with to spread holiday cheer.
YESS - Youth Empowerment & Support Services
- YESS provides shelter and hope to youth facing difficult circumstances. By providing food, shelter and teaching valuable life skills, YESS fills a gap in our community.
- Check out their website for more info: http://www.yess.org/about-us
The Good Samaritan Society
- The Good Samaritan Society strives to provide Christian hospitality to those in Edmonton and the surrounding areas. Their mission statement is to provide accommodation, health and community care services.
- Follow this link to view their volunteer tab: https://gss.org/volunteer/
- Hope Mission is a not-for-profit organization focusing on providing basic care for marginalized men, women, and children in the Edmonton area.
- Check out this site for volunteer opportunities at the Edmonton location: https://hopemission.com/get-involved/volunteer/volunteer-in-edmonton/
These are just a few of the organizations in Edmonton. Some others to keep in mind are:
- The Edmonton Food Bank.
- Habitat for Humanity Edmonton.
- The Mustard Seed.
- The Bissell Centre.
There are so many places in our city that strive to help those in need, so I encourage you to step out this holiday season and make a connection with people in our community. It is also important to remember that poverty doesn't only occur during Christmas, but is all around us all year round.
Wishing you a very merry start to the holiday season. Be kind to yourself and to others!