Homemade Ice Cream: Dunkaroos
We are back at it again with our second homemade ice cream blog! For today’s blog, the team and I tried another homemade ice cream recipe. We are all witnesses of this amazing sight…and taste! Do any of you remember Dunkaroos? If you have no idea what that is, google search real quick because they were a dime in my time! Lucky for you, in today’s homemade ice cream blog we decided to try making our very own Dunkaroo Ice Cream.
All you need are a couple of ingredients:
- Heavy cream – this starts off as a liquid and as you mix it, it starts to become like whipped cream.
- Sweetened condensed milk – the recipe says 14 oz, which is about one can and a half. We found that this made it really sweet, so if you would like to tone down the sweetness, one can or even half of that works just as well.
- Chopped birthday cake Teddy Grahams – we got two flavors instead of the birthday cake ones because they are hard to find! We got chocolate chip and honey flavored and used one cup of each.
- Rainbow sprinkles – ½ cup is about one container of sprinkles
- Cream cheese frosting
- Birthday cake mix
Below are some tips for making the ice cream as you follow the recipe:
- Have a rubber spatula nearby or something that would help you get all the ice cream off the mixer.
- We found out there were no such thing as birthday cake Teddy Grahams anymore, so we opted for chocolate chip and honey flavored Teddy Grahams which tasted just as good! You can improvise with chocolate crackers or vanilla crackers…anything works!
- 14-oz is about one and a half cans of condensed milk, depending on the can size.
- If you would like to speed up the freezing process, invest in an ice scream maker! It skips the 5 hour freeze time.
- You do not have to use a stand mixer. We used a hand mixer and it worked just fine!
Making this ice cream serves about eight people, so if you are sharing (or eating this yourself which is totally fine too), keep extra sprinkles and Teddy Grahams/crackers on the side for toppings.
Huge tip: dunking the Teddy Grahams into the ice cream like a true Dunkaroo tastes 10 times better. It is super easy and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. Bon Appétit!