How to Start the New Year Right
It’s a new year, and what better time to start getting into new routines and habits than right now?! Starting something new can be difficult, but I’m here to give you some tips on how to make this easier! Whether it’s meal prepping, hitting the gym, or getting a good start to the school year, here are some ways to stick to it and start the year off right.
- Find an accountability partner. Whether it’s someone you can meal prep with, or someone who can workout with you a few times a week, having someone hold you accountable for your actions is one of the best ways to make sure you stick to those New Year’s resolutions.
- Set realistic goals, and start small. If you struggle to get into a consistent workout routine, and then set yourself a goal to workout 7 days a week, it is very unlikely that you will be able to stick to that. Start small, and then build up from there! Doing what you can, when you can, is way better than doing nothing at all!
- Make to-do lists. This goes for school work, meal prepping, extracurricular activities, etc. Making a list is one of the best ways to hold yourself accountable each week. I like to make my list for the week on Sunday nights, and I think it’s a great way to prepare for the week ahead. There is also something so satisfying about crossing things off that to-do list!
- Make it fun! Try new recipes when meal prepping. There are so many free recipes available online, and so much variety that you should never get bored of eating the same thing! Change the way you workout. Go swimming, play tennis, lift some weights, go for a run. Working out doesn’t have to be boring, find what you love to do, but also try new things! You’re more likely to stick to your goals if you enjoy what you’re doing.
- Stay on top of your school work right off the bat. The first week of school is usually pretty chill, not too much homework, but many teachers will discuss assignments for the entire semester in the first class. Start thinking about these assignments right away, and even start working on them if you can! Getting on top of your school work will make stressful parts of the semester a lot less stressful!
These are some things that have worked for me, so I hope they will work for you too! Remember: don’t be too hard on yourself!! It’s okay if you miss a workout, or have a cheat day, don’t beat yourself up for it. The only way you’re going to keep your good habits going in the long run is if you give yourself a break every now and then!
Happy New Year!