Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!
Guess what?! National Grilled Cheese Day is a thing! Not fully believing my fellow student bloggers, I turned to the trusty Google and found out more about this day and grilled cheese in general. After killing a significant amount of time in this interesting research, I figured I’d share my new-found knowledge with you!
- The Ancient Romans were the first known people to cook cheese and bread together
- Following the great example of the Romans, many other cultures decided to create their own versions
- The idea of grilled cheese really kicked off with the invention of sliced bread in the 1920s, which combined with the invention of cheese slices in ~1916, assembling grilled cheese was made ever so much easier!
Different Names/Types from Around the World:
- Cheese toastie or toasty – Popular in the UK where it is either grilled, baked in an oven or placed in a pie iron
- Croque Monsieur – Popular in France where Gruyere cheese is melted inside a ham sandwich
- Croque Madame – Same as the Croque Monsieur but adding a fried egg on top
- Bauru – created in Brazil, mozzarella cheese melted in a bain-marie over toasted bead slices, tomato and pickles
- Bombay Masala Cheese Toast – Made in India, featuring green chutney sauce, mashed potato, spices, masala, and vegetables
Here's My Recommendations for Fillings:
- Macaroni and cheese
- Chips and gouda cheese
- Cream cheese, mascarpone, powdered sugar and strawberries
- Ham, pineapple, cheese and sliced jalapenos
- Bacon, cheese and guacamole
In light of this nationally recognized day, Admissions' Bloggers decided we should celebrate this occasion by making a variety of grilled cheese! Check out the photo above with our impromptu flavour combinations:
- Mac & Cheese with bacon
- Brie, bacon, tomato and spinach
- Cheddar cheese, havarti cheese, bacon and turkey
Well that's all for now folks! Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!