Why Study Chemistry at King's?
King's four-year Chemistry program is nationally accredited by the Chemical Institute of Canada and, after work experience, can lead to designation in Alberta as a Professional Chemist (P.Chem.).
Learn and work alongside faculty who are committed to your success. Many of the faculty are award-winning researchers and contributors in the natural sciences community who are passionate about teaching and engaged in research projects with undergraduate students. Science is a human enterprise, and scientific processes occur in historical, social, and religious contexts.
Graduates leave with a strong chemistry background, mathematical skills, the ability to work independently, excellent oral and written communication skills, and problem-solving abilities. These are all desired qualifications for Canadian chemists, as indicated by Human Resources and Development Canada.
"I explore the intricacies of God's handiwork by studying the properties of matter and its transformations. The small class sizes and fully equipped laboratories at King's promote my increased understanding of chemistry. The professors are knowledgeable and personable and helped me approach the field from a Christian worldview. Foundation and breadth courses allowed me to frame chemistry within the context of the other disciplines." Sam Zondervan, Alumni (B.Sc. Chemistry, 2005)
King's Chemistry professors and staff are committed to:
- Cultivating a deeper understanding of the molecular world so that students can bring healing to a damaged world.
- Providing hands-on experience with laboratory tools and computer software common to practicing chemists, biologist, and environmental scientists.
- Providing an experiential, research-rich curriculum and laboratory research opportunities alongside award-winning faculty.
- Guiding students to personal success through top-tier teaching, mentorship, and scholarship.
- Giving students the ability to describe, visualize, interact with, and appreciate the molecular world.
Chemistry from a Christian perspective
It's not just about the physical world in King's Chemistry. Your Chemistry professors are passionate about their teaching, research, and sharing their joy in creation. They offer a teaching environment where they focus on who you are as a chemist and a child of God, and what that means in terms of you and your future career.
As you visualize and interact with the molecular world, your professors want to bring you into a fuller appreciation of chemistry and a deeper relationship with the Creator.