Challenge Yourself: 52 Things to Try this Year
Rather than creating the traditional resolutions list of fad diets, breaking habits, and promises that usually get broken, I decided to create a list of 52 new things to try in 2019. One for each week of the year!
- Go bouldering! If you don’t like traditional workouts this might be perfect for you.
- Learn sign language.
- Donate blood.
- Get over your fear of heights. Skydive or hang out on a balcony or roof-top, whatever you need to overcome your fear.
- Have your friends over to play board games.
- Go bowling.
- Take an art class.
- Go skating. Victoria Park has an incredible path to skate on.
- Try a restaurant you’ve never been to before.
- Visit an art gallery.
- Learn a new language.
- Do something for someone else.
- Take a cooking class or teach yourself to cook something new.
- Volunteer for the day at a local dog shelter, home for the elderly, or at a soup kitchen for the homeless.
- Take a vacation from the world for a day. Turn your cellphone and all other electronics off.
- Clean out your closet and donate everything you haven't worn in the past year to charity.
- Grow a garden. Flower, vegetable, whatever. If you live in an apartment, grow some herbs or even grass on the windowsill.
- Go to a museum with some friends. The Royal Alberta Museum just reopened in October!
- Learn to play a musical instrument.
- Look up your family tree and find out what you can learn about your ancestors.
- Attend an open mic night. Its great entertainment and can be the perfect way to meet new people.
- Take your camera with you for a whole day and capture anything and everything that takes your interest.
- Try a new look. Choose a new hairstyle or try wearing clothes that you like but wouldn’t normally wear.
- Watch a sunset, sunrise, or both. Find a spot with a good view and settle down with a friend or loved one and enjoy.
- Go see a play or improv show! The Citadel Theatre has some great options.
- Check out a local farmers market. The Old Strathcona Farmer’s Market is a great option here in Edmonton.
- Try a new sport.
- Learn to drive stick.
- Visit a National Park.
- Read a new book.
- Start journaling.
- Come up with a list of goals you want to accomplish.
- Help a random stranger.
- Attend a festival. Edmonton has so many incredible options during the summer. My personal favorite is probably Taste of Edmonton.
- Make new friends.
- Binge a new TV series.
- Go camping.
- Take a dance class. You can do this alone or with a group of friends.
- Discover new music that’s outside your usual taste.
- Go geocaching.
- Go on a hike.
- Learn an odd skill such as juggling or riding a unicycle.
- Make ice cream. We have tons of recipes for you to use on the blog.
- Try meditating.
- Go on a picnic with your friends or significant other.
- Get together with a group of friends and put together a puzzle.
- Go thrift shopping. It’s crazy the deals you can find.
- Send someone a handwritten letter.
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken to recently and have a good long chat.
- Try out a new form of exercise like Pilates, tennis or swimming.
- Try a food you’ve always hated. It may turn out that you actually love it.
- Go on a drive in an area near you that you don't know well. Explore. Throw the map out the window.
These are just a few ideas to get you thinking about what you'd like to do in the new year. Feel free to edit the list and make it your own!
Till Next Time,