Reduce your carbon footprint in four easy areas
Happy Earth Day! Let’s celebrate first by thanking the Earth for being the planet we call home. But why just say thanks when you can do something to give back? This Earth day, I have some ways you can reduce your carbon footprint.
What is a carbon footprint? This is the amount of carbon dioxide and other carbon compounds emitted due to the consumption of fossil fuels by a particular person.
Did you know we use up our Earth’s natural resources way faster than the planet can replenish them? If we keep going at this rate, we're going to eventually run out of life-giving compounds. Yikes!
Here are some ways you can reduce your carbon footprint.
- Turn off the lights if no one is in the room.
- Save energy by unplugging things you aren’t using. Don’t leave the plug of your charger in the socket especially when you’re not using it.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs.
- Don’t leave the tap running. Turn it off when you don’t need it, and make sure the tap is closed to avoid dripping.
- Purchase water-efficient items (e.g. shower heads, washing machines).
- Walk when possible! Get some fresh air, but try not to freeze your toes off.
- Carpooling is a great way to get from point A to B and jam out to good music with some good people.
- Drive at the speed limit. Speeding reduces mileage up to 33% and this wastes money and gas.
- Reduce, reuse, and RECYCLE! This may be drilled into your heads, but there is so much energy that goes into manufacturing goods and products that is actually harmful to the Earth, so instead of making new ones from scratch, why not reuse and recycle the materials you can to help save more energy!
With these ideas in mind, the Earth will definitely feel the love. Take this day to appreciate the planet you live on! What will you do to thank the Earth on Earth Day?