Why Take a Gap Year?
Hi there future King’s students!
It’s a new semester, which means more opportunities and new chances to take! A big welcome to the new students roaming the hallways. It’s always nice to see so many new and returning faces!
Before thinking about going into university or even after you’ve been in university for a little bit, has taking a gap year ever crossed your mind? Well first of all, what even is a gap year? A gap year is taking an intentional break between high school and university. Maybe you're taking this period of time away from school to do a little bit of soul searching and to decide what direction you want to take your studies. Maybe you need some time to work and save money for school. Or maybe you want to take this time to do some travelling or missions work. To help you enjoy your gap year, here are some tips to make your transition into university a smooth one! Let’s take a look at what a gap year has to offer, shall we?
Tips for the Best Gap Year
- If school has worn you out, take the time “recharge” and get yourself back on track for university.
- Do some research into what direction you want to take your studies. Take up an internship or job shadow someone who's in a career area you think you might be interested in. You'll be able to find out what you like or dislike. Once you discover what you love, see if you can make a career out of it!
- This is one of the most opportune times to grow in your faith. When else in your life do you have the opportunity to take off a big chunk of time and go on a missions program without having many life responsibilities or obligations? Have an open mind, there are lots of opportunities!
- Use this time to give back by volunteering! Not only does this look great on scholarship applications, but it can be a really rewarding time of personal growth.
- Learn to be frugal. What good is working if you don't know how to save? Learn how to budget and live the simple student life so you can make those dollars stretch during your university years.
- Spend time adventuring! When else in your life can you take a year off and work on crossing off items on your bucket list?!
- Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Be a risk-taker!
Although these are only a few points to get yourself right on track, I'm sure there's many more helpful points. Have the best gap year and be the adventure you wish to take!