Back to Programs

Bachelor of Education Degree FAQ

What’s an "After-Degree" program?

This means our two-year program is open to those who already have a bachelor's degree from a recognized post-secondary institution. Normally after two academic years (60 credits) in the after-degree program at King's, you will obtain the B.Ed. degree and an Alberta Professional Teaching Certificate.

What's special about King's B.Ed. program?

King's is the first independent university in Canada to offer such a degree. Our program helps you develop a clear Christian philosophy of education while providing sound training in teaching methods. We provide extensive guided practice opportunities in Protestant Christian schools, Roman Catholic separate schools, and public schools.

Will my degree be recognized?

Yes! The degree is fully accredited by Alberta Education, and the Interim Professional Teaching Certificate is awarded by Alberta Education. You will be qualified to teach in elementary or secondary classrooms in Alberta and other Canadian and American jurisdictions.

What will my two years of study be like?

During the four semesters of the program, you will take courses in Foundations of Education, Educational Psychology and Curriculum Theory, as well as 17 weeks of in-school practice teaching. One of the semesters consists of modules provided by master teachers or specialists in their field who have been specially selected for their expertise. Because there is a limit of 35 students in each cohort, you will experience a personal approach to your professional education.

What are the qualifications of my instructors?

You'll be taught by full-time faculty who each hold advanced degrees and have had extensive classroom teaching experience. In addition, experienced master teachers currently teaching in the classroom instruct their students about the methods and materials used in teaching a variety of elementary school subjects and in themes in secondary education. Several sessional instructors teach selected courses.

What do I need to be admitted?

Visit education admission requirements to learn more. If you have questions about applying, feel free to contact our Admissions department.

Can I transfer courses from another university to King’s?

Yes. Up to nine credits of coursework may be eligible for transfer credit toward B.Ed. graduation requirements.