Bachelor of Education - Secondary Program
The Secondary Education program is a mix of skills developed within the context of a caring community that blends theory with practice. This program has a maximum enrolment of 35 students per year, which means you receive personal attention from your professors, including practicum supervision.
This is one of the best programs out there! It definitely prepared me for an amazing career that I was so blessed to be hired right out of graduation. The professors are SO amazing. The program created the opportunity for us, as a cohort, to get to know each other really well. King's definitely stood out to me. Do it!! You'll be glad you did.
Tamara, B.Ed '14 (Edmonton Public Schools)
The secondary education program highlights 18 weeks of teaching practicum. During this period, students start new semester courses and spend four weeks of 100-percent teaching time in the classroom. During the month of January, students take curriculum and instruction classes in their major and minor subject teaching areas. In the second term, students take week-long modules on various aspects of the secondary curriculum taught by master teachers currently in the school system.
Graduates from our program consistently rank among the best teachers in the province. They are eligible to receive professional teaching certification from Alberta Education and are qualified to teach in junior/senior high school classrooms in Alberta, Canada and around the world.
Program Outline: Secondary Stream
Year 1 (Fall) - Preparation
- EDUC 301 - Educational Learning Theories and Applications
- EDUC 303 - The Philosophy and Design of Curriculum Planning
- EDUC 310 - Strategies for Teaching and Learning in Secondary Education
- Two Electives
Year 1 (Winter) - Integration
- EDUC 315 - Selected Secondary Teaching Methods and Materials - One week master teacher modules (x3)
- EDUC 320 - Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary Mathematics and Sciences I or EDUC 330 - Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary English Language Arts, Social Studies, Physical Education and Fine Arts I
- EDUC 333 - Health and Wellness in Secondary Schools
- EDUC 353 - Secondary Practicum I
Year 2 (Fall) - Extension
- EDUC 342 - Establishing Inclusive Learning Environments (Formerly EDUC 341)
- EDUC 401 - Educational Administration
- EDUC 409 - Cross Curricular Literacy
- Two Electives
Year 2 (Winter) - Completion
- EDUC 420 - Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary Mathematics and Sciences II or EDUC 430 - Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary English Language Arts, Social Studies, Physical Education and Fine Arts II
- EDUC 440 - Advanced Curriculum Design for Secondary Education
- EDUC 453 - Secondary Practicum II